Got my new Headunit, now for the speakers

Hi,

Just thought I would mention I have looked through these forums for all the previous posts, and speakers/links etc that people have mentioned dont seem to be available from what I can see, so looking help and updates please.

I got myself a new headunit about a year ago, and its now time to think about replacing the speakers as the sound just isnt what I am after. I am looking for any information that anyone can share to an easy install and not too over the top.

Front

I would like to replace the front speakers as I think one is now on its way out I found these: Infinity Reference 6532si Shallow Mount in the 17cm size range that should fit the front speakers for the octavia?

Just wanted some confirmation if these would be a straight swap and then disconnect the tweeters that are in the door?

If these arent any good please, please, please link some more that are!

Rear

I heard about disconnecting the tweeters in the back doors so I have done this :yes:

Now for the rear speakers, I have 2 options, I have 2 parcel shelves one that is cut for 6x9 and one that isnt.

So I wanted to know:

1. if I should use the parcel shelf that is cut already and get some 6x9 old school

or

2. if I should replace the 13cm stocks with Infinity Reference 5032i

any other options.......let me know please :-)

Wire

The stock wiring............should I use it?

or

Should I run in new speaker cable to the speakers.

I dont want to put an amp/sub into the car unless it can be hidden away and I can have the boot empty so I can put the back seats down.

I'm not against the idea of a sub, but a neat setup would be the option to go for!

Any help would be greatful, I have tried to research this but need a little more help from you guys..................the pros!

I'm a proud VRS owner, just need to get the sound sorted and im set.

Cheers.

First off, please, please, please DO NOT buy coaxial speakers to replace the mids in your Octy. You need a decent full component set. Any improvement in weight and general cohesiveness will be negligible and countered by a horribly low soundstage and a waste of the already decent factory position for the tweeter.

That said, finding somewhere to put the crossover and running new cables can quickly become a hassle to the uninitiated. You could just get custom fits which use the existing setup and merely replace the drivers. As for 6x9s, they will be considerably cheaper than a sub and amp, but really benefit from being amped themselves.

What you need to do is decide how much you're happy to spend and then how far you want to go.

I have HU, comps, sub, two amps and sound deadened doors. For me that was expensive but worth every penny and that setup has evolved across 3 cars and 6 years.

If you just want an improvement over stock it's cheaper and easier, but spending even just a few hundred pounds will blow you away if done properly.

First off thanks for the reply :thumbup:

Ok so away with the coaxial speakers then. I could probably budget upto £200-250 I reckon to upgrade.

My HU is an Alpine with 50w per channel.

I know its alot to ask but could you or anyone have a look at these links and see if there are any speakers on there that you think would be a straight forward replacement 16cm components or 17cm Components for front speakers which out the need for heavy duty cutting or anything like that.

Are these options to do this? Alpine SPE-17SF Shallow Mount or Pioneer TS-170Ci Custom Fit or Alpine SXE-1750S

So for the back, I will probably go for 6x9 I think as its a cheaper option could be wrong though 6x9s I know some people are probably shaking their heads but I'm old skool. Just wondering if a speaker says Maximum input power: 260 Watt, Nominal input power: 40 Watt, what this actually means?

My HU is 50w per channel so do I need to amp them?

Found this pack? 6x9s Pack

Am I right in thinking with an amp I need to run power cables to the battery etc? is this an easy task to do?

And if I am running an amp should I look at something different to 6x9s, where would they go if I do?.

Or is an alternative Alpine KTP-445 Power Pack to power them, without the need of an amp?

if I was to use the above which 6x9s should I go for?

Should I keep a full alpine system if I go this way?

Infinity Kappa 693.9i

or

Alpine SPG-69C3

Been a long time since I did a stereo upgrade, and scared of knocking/breaking something thats all, trying to do my homework with the links etc.

Cheers.

Edited by Yaminchi

Question about the cross over in the octavia mk1.

Is this built into the wiring system and do you have to take them out if you are putting new component speakers in the front?

Also if this is the case would I need to take the cross overs out for the rear speakers aswell?

Your sounds are as only as good as your cables

if you have crap cable that is breaking the signal.. its pointless buying new speakers as the same issue will re-occure

Make sure the connections are fine when connected ot the current speakers first

What type of sound you after? base? classics? clarity?

If you want good sound quality. ive be spending 150 per set of comps minimum

No to 6x9s.. if you cant do it properly.. save up and then get a sub of you want more base

Your sounds are as only as good as your cables

if you have crap cable that is breaking the signal.. its pointless buying new speakers as the same issue will re-occure

Make sure the connections are fine when connected ot the current speakers first

What type of sound you after? base? classics? clarity?

If you want good sound quality. ive be spending 150 per set of comps minimum

No to 6x9s.. if you cant do it properly.. save up and then get a sub of you want more base

I disagree.

The OP has stated a budget of £250. If you want brand new kit for that, I would suggest 6x9s and custom fit components. The ones you've found from Pioneer and Alpine should be in that range. You need to check that they use the existing wiring and filters. Read extensively! I can't help as I've no experience of them personally, just know that that's the idea of the "custom fit" speakers. Otherwise, you're talking "proper" components with crossovers and then you're gonna start to get into amps and up the money a bit.

Infinity have pretty much always made reasonable 6x9s. Purists hate them because they drag the soundstage backwards and can be a little crude. But on a budget, they provide weight and are easy to install. Make sure however, that you reinforce your parcel shelf with MDF to provide them something solid to vibrate against.

At £250 your other option is to get a cheap amp and components. This would sound better, but will be far more complex to install yourself. Have a think about it....

I disagree.

The OP has stated a budget of £250. If you want brand new kit for that, I would suggest 6x9s and custom fit components. The ones you've found from Pioneer and Alpine should be in that range. You need to check that they use the existing wiring and filters. Read extensively! I can't help as I've no experience of them personally, just know that that's the idea of the "custom fit" speakers. Otherwise, you're talking "proper" components with crossovers and then you're gonna start to get into amps and up the money a bit.

Infinity have pretty much always made reasonable 6x9s. Purists hate them because they drag the soundstage backwards and can be a little crude. But on a budget, they provide weight and are easy to install. Make sure however, that you reinforce your parcel shelf with MDF to provide them something solid to vibrate against.

At £250 your other option is to get a cheap amp and components. This would sound better, but will be far more complex to install yourself. Have a think about it....

for a sub have a look at the Vibe CBR10 active. have a look at this website i have used this a number of times in the past and can rate it very highly http://www.audiorepaircentre.com/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=19 the only problem is stock comes and goes very quickly so best to check daily.

regards,

Mike

Thanks for the info guys, thats a great help in seeing what way to go. I might try and save up a bit longer for the stereo kit, if it makes that much of a difference, I have that link bookmarked thanks Mike.

Interesting times ahead, I shall let you know what I decide to do, thanks for all your help so far!

cheers :thumbup:

......No to 6x9s.......

+1 for what he said.

You should only consider 6 x 9s in the back if you are in the habit of going to concerts and standing with your back to the stage...

Another component speaker to consider for the front is a (shallow-mount) CDT.

They sound really good and are an improvement over the Alpine and Infinity speakers.

+1 for what he said.

You should only consider 6 x 9s in the back if you are in the habit of going to concerts and standing with your back to the stage...

They sound really good and are an improvement over the Alpine and Infinity speakers.

Sorry but Im a proper noob when it comes to speakers what is CDT? and do I do a search on the web for shallow mount?

sorry :'(

+1 for what he said.

They're cheap, they sound good. Not everybody wants perfect imaging. Some people just want a lot of sound for their cash.

No need to be elitist about it. I wouldn't have them myself, but that doesn't make them automatically crap. Just different products for different needs and budgets.

what is CDT? and do I do a search on the web for shallow mount?

emoticon-0106-crying.gif

CDT is just the brand name of a speaker which is worth considering.

They are shallow-mount so you will be able to buy a larger speaker which will fit in the original position without any modifications.

I know that K&M Acoustics in Wigan sell them so check out their website for more information: http://www.kandmacoustics.co.uk/

Don't be concerned about being a 'newby', it is best to consider your options before laying out any cash!

Good luck!

They're cheap, they sound good.

They are cheap. They don't sound good. Depends on your standards.

Not everybody wants perfect imaging.

Not everybody knows how to achieve perfect imaging but it doesn't mean that they should be denied it.

Some people just want a lot of sound for their cash.

Quantity over quality eh? What a way to waste money.

No need to be elitist about it.

Quite. And no need to be patronising about it either.

How do you know that the original poster doesn't want the best sound his money can buy?

I wouldn't have them myself

Exactly.

From your sig, it's obvious you're into your car audio. Hence I would expect the response about 6x9s, but they do sound good in the context they're meant for. The average man on the street does care about it like you do and does not want comps and an amp, both for the hassle and and cost. They also don't care about imaging and the majority of popular music these days doesn't make any use of it anyway. The OP stated his budget and I made a suggestion.

Tell me another product/config that will put out as much music as 6x9s for less than £100 without an amp or any wiring changes?? It's just not possible. As the OP seemed to be looking in that direction, that's why I went with it. Doesn't mean I'm patronising, just trying to stick to the stated budget. Sorry to argue, but I think it's an important point.

why don't you just go and listen to a pair of decent 16,5 cm speakers, find some you like, and install them. if the speakers are ok, it will be an improvement regardless of cables or anything. The infinity's are good, but personally I think the tweeters were a little to loud. I went for polk audio's db6501. They are easily driven by your headunit, and sounds good in my opinion. Need a little work to get the tweeters in place, but looks factory installed with a little effort.

• 2 months later...

For a 250 budget just install a new headunit run the stock speakers (if they are not broken in anyway). If your after a bit more body then consider a sub and amp, for that kind of cash look at JBL.

As to 6x9, nothing wrong with them as a speaker, its the way in which they are generally used which is the problem.

Personally from experience upgrading speakers needs to be done right and cheap speakers in most cases sound worse than stocks.

If you feel the need to upgrade speakers, consider the hetz brand, the SQ is pretty good and they have high efficiency which is ideal for headunit power.