VRS rear bumper inspection hole?

Hi

Just got my VRS estate back from the local Chips Away where they were sorting a small dent and scratch on the corner of the rear bumper. Job looks OK, although they didn't clean up some of the trim in the boot hatch area. Checking the rear bumper back at home there appears to be a large rectangular hole underneath the bumper - looks like some kind of inspection hatch/way of accessing internals in bumper.

Anyone else got this? Should there be some kind of a cover??

No, I don't think so. There appears to be a smaller tow bar cover to the right of the offending hole. This is central and seems to allow you to look inside the bumper housing.

Can someone with a VRS have a quick look under their rear bumper for me?

I have the same on mine. It came up on a thread about fitting rear parking sensors a while back as I couldn't understand why everyone was removing their bumpers when all I had to do is reach through the whopping great hole!!

It is a variation of the bumper that allows for a tow-bar to be fitted. I don't know if they come from the factory like that or if it has been modified later by a dealer fitting a towbar but the edges don't look cut so probably the former. I'm 2nd owner of my vRS so I'm assuming it had the towbar from factory which was removed before I got it.

Someone thankfully pointed out that because towbar had been removed, I should check that the steel crash bar behind the plastic had been reinstated. Apparently when a towbar is fitted, the whole towbar assembly replaces this bar hence it is removed. It's very important that it has been put back if you get rear-ended. Crank your head up underneath and you'll see it's there (hopefully!)

I think you guys have finally found the only thing[1] Skoda do when you tick the £200 towbar prep option on the order form :giggle: they cut a hole in your bumper.

Mine doesn't have it.

[1] - i'm only kidding :giggle:

The local dealer is only a mile or so away. On the way to do the food shop tonight I dropped in and had a look under several new FL Octavias they had there - everyone had the same rectangluar hole. Looks like every new Octavia has been prepped for a towbar (ie had a section of the underside of the rear bumper cut out).

What with this and the rattling sunglass holder last week I'm becoming a nervous wreck. Perhaps I should have stuck with an old banger - at least then I wouldn't be fretting whether it was ok every five minutes when I park it on the street or be analysing every single noise when I drive it!

I think you guys have finally found the only thing[1] Skoda do when you tick the £200 towbar prep option on the order form :giggle: they cut a hole in your bumper.

Mine doesn't have it.

[1] - i'm only kidding :giggle:

I ordered the tow bar prep and have this cut-out. My brother didn't order tow bar prep and he has it too! So I don't think it's to do with tow bar prep. :|

Sarge.