Thinking about an Octy 2 Sport

Thinking about trading in my Fabia VRS for an Octy Sport if i can find one within my budget. Found an 07 plate for £6388 but it's done nearly 80k on a 3 year old car. I know mileage isn't an issue to a Diesel and especially to a VAG diesel engine but it is sorta putting me off especially as i do around 25k a year.

My Fabia's now paid off so i'd need to inject some cash into the deal and i'm currently doing the jobs to the Fabia it needs so it's more appealing to buyers. It's just had new rear disks and pads and new front pads and it gets tyres tomorrow and bushes and alignment on Tuesday.

Would you buy the Octavia with that mileage or would you look around to see what else you can find?

To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if its better to buy newer with higher miles, or older, but lower miles.

I needed something to bang miles on without shelling out too much cash, so I went for the older option, a 2005 54 plate 2.0 TDI with 62K on the clock, FSSH etc....

Almost a year Its now on 88k something and sorry to say but it has been the most unreliable car I've ever owned... granted I've never done quite so many miles in a short space

of time, but I went on the Octy taxi theory, but wanted 6 gears so the 2.0 it was !

I always buy lower mileage cars, highest mileage car i've ever bought was my Clio 182 which had 42k when i got it. Highest mileage car i've owned is the Fabia, i've never had a car past 49k and the Fabia's currently on 53k and it's been a brilliant car, only had 2 major problems with it in the 20k i've covered in it

Just want something bigger now as we're out growing the Fabia and tbh i'm growing bored of it

For the last few years I've always bought ex-fleet cars as you know they've always been serviced and had any work required done and never had any real trouble with them.

My last octavia mk1 pd130 elegance was ex-fleet and purchased by me around 80k @ 3years old and within a few months was remapped to approx 175bhp/320ftlb and was continually modded and is currently still going with over 141k with NO major mechanical failures, I had the car about 2 1/2 years and sold it around 131k

My current octavia pd140 elegance is ex-fleet and bought at 3 1/2 years old with 55k miles, the turbo was squeeling (Common on the PD140) when I bought it but replaced under warranty, its now upto 57k and I've only owned it for 3weeks and its been in the garage for 1 week of that :giggle:

So long as the cars you look at are regulary serviced I don't think it really matters about milage, however I personally prefer to buy them with a few miles on the clock as I know they've had more of a motorway life.

Edited by matt@theforce

I would assume it was motorway miles but i'm thinking re sale aswell, i dunno what to do. Car looks in good condition and has cleaned up really well inside that i can see from pics. My dad says no due to the mileage but my mind says yes lol God knows i can't decide. Looking at Peugeot 207 GT HDi 110's aswell as i really like them and prefer a smaller car really. But we need something Octy sized realistically

80k barely run in ....

There's an 08 plate Octy in Donny on 193k, now that's one hard working taxi!

My diesel Octies were a 5 year old 26k car taken to 136k in 4 years

& my current one (a 2.0 TDI Sport) was a 2.5 year old car on 58k, 2 years on, it's on 120k.

(it's hard to believe but I'm NOT a taxi driver)

Like Matt@theforce above, mines had the squealing turbo all the time I've had it,

the warranty people refused a claim on the grounds it was a characteristic not a fault.

I'm budgeting to overhaul the car shortly & replace the turbo (& possibly the clutch & flywheel)

as for it's book value part ex, the renewal of those components,

should hopefully give me a cost effective reliable car.

Look carefully, if you're not happy there's plenty of cars out there.

Well Sports are a little exclusive, but the Sport suspension pack is available at a dealer.

Hmm squealing turbo is putting me off tbh hmmm

I know 80k is barely run in but it's still alotta miles in my eyes. Need to think carefully really

I'm sure there must be a definitive answer about the turbos, but if I've read stuff on the 'net correctly,

then Garrett skimped on the bearings .... not just on the VAG ones either.

However, if you allow them to warm up / cool down correctly then they last longer

I've read comments on here that say, the moment it starts making the police siren noise it's game over.

I've been in lots of minicabs that do it, they are used heavily & with a lot less sympathy,

they're still out there earning a living ... mainly.

However, sometimes they pop spectacularly.

There's a huge price difference on newer lower mileage cars with all inclusive warranties.

However, the money you can save, could pay for any repairs that may arise.

Don't rush your purchase, take a knowledgeable friend for a second opinion.

I'm putting all my money into it so can't really be doing with big bills tbh lol

Need to see what happens i guess, it's too far away to just go for a look so it's a bigger gamble

80K on a diesel is nowt... it's just getting warmed up.

If it's well looked after & fully Skoda serviced it'll be fine.

My 51 plate Octavia Elegance TDi had about 120K when I bought it over 4 years ago.

I bought it from a main Skoda dealer (they'd sold it & serviced it, so gave me it's full history).

It had just one owner.

I still have all services and stuff done at my Skoda dealer... it's now got over 180K and still doing fine.

I want to see it get beyond 200K.

My wife had an Octavia L&K with 130K when she bought it... it was ex-fleet.

Again we kept it fully Skoda serviced.

She sold it a after 3 years with 190K on the clock to a taxi company!!!

They told us they use Octavia diesels and easily get 220-250K from them.

I always keep my cars serviced and mechanically sound so it's all good in that degree. And I always use genuine parts, not gonna bother with a main dealer anymore and just get my BMW tech mate to do it and keep the receipts and he signs my book aswell

Gonna phone the garage tomorrow and get more info

Anything can fail on any car at any time.

Is there are reasong for wanting the sport model in particular? As mentioned you can buy the sport kits from the main dealers or even look for a different model with it allready fitted, I got my '56' pd140 elegance estate with sport kit for a smidgen under 9k with a warranty & FSH, whats more it was serviced 200miles before I bought it and it also had x2 Michelling Pilot Sports fitted during the service too :thumbup: being the elegance you also get a few extras over the sport model and if your after the sport looks the bodykit can be had for not alot of money or even cheaper are the vrs bumpers.

If your still concerned about unexpected large bills, factor in buying an extended warranty from somewhere like warranty direct :thumbup:

Edited by matt@theforce

I was considering an elegance aswell but I can't be doing with messing about with cars I just prefer to buy it done. So I like the sport looks and the wheels etc so might aswell buy one

Does the sport have cruise control?

I would be factoring in a warranty for it that's one thing I won't be doing without lol

I was considering an elegance aswell but I can't be doing with messing about with cars I just prefer to buy it done. So I like the sport looks and the wheels etc so might aswell buy one

Does the sport have cruise control?

Mine doesn't have cruise (it was a £££ option), I think it can be retro-fitted

Essentially the car was built to Ambiente spec', with the following added on ...

Pegasus 17" Alloys, Sport Suspension, ESP, Tyre Pressure Monitor,

Sports seats, Rear bumper with cats eye reflectors, boot lip spoiler,

Chrome "Sport" kickplates, some also have external badges.

Front spoiler is so subtle that you have to look at it against a standard car twice to notice it.

The marketing people obviously decided that once the vRS was out, they'd discontinue the Sport,

(whereas other brands offer two grades of sportiness VTR & VTS, ST & RS, Type S & Type R),

although, as has been stated it's possible to order most of the bits (if you want to)

Depending on the original dealer, the V5C (log book) may either say Sport or Ambiente.

Mine says Sport, sms (if he still posts on here) didn't but he got it changed.

The build sticker confirms that my car is both an Ambiente and Sport :rofl:

Good luck with the search & lets hope you enjoy what you buy

Well i phoned the garage and they don't do part ex :(

Someones also spec'd cruise control on the one i was looking at so it's ideal and has the one feature i really wanted! Gutted, just need to hope the Fabia sells soon and it puts me in a much better position. But it's not looking likely bar the one offer i have of a Part ex with a Fiesta ST which i wouldn't mind as it'd be my 5th Fiesta and 3rd ST but we need more space lol

If you don't find one with cruise, it's a £150-200 retrofit addition. The likes of Awesome, Unit18 etc will sort that for you no problem.

Personally, I do like the idea of a Sport, but I wish they'd tried a bit harder on the interior. It looks no different from a std Octy. What I'd like to have seen is a half-way house between normal and the vRS. A bit like they did with the Fabia Mk1 Sport.

Good luck searching :thumbup:

Steve

I'm too far away from Awesome and Unit 18 so it'd be a i buy the stalk and my skoda mechanic mate fits it then another mate with vagcom activates it lol. Probably be cheaper too

Either way if it doesn't have cruise control then it's no biggy i'll do the retro fit as i was gonna do that if i got a Fabia without it :)

Gonna phone some garages tomorrow and see if any will cash buy it from me

Yeh heard alot about star performance. But tbh I get parts for cost so it'd still be cheaper fitting it myself lol

But octy sport is now out the equasion as I just used some of the money I had to buy my mrs a new car so if the fabia doesn't sell for cash I'll be keeping it :)