More steering woes

Ive had a new rack fitted, went to have it laser aligned yesterday and it seemed ok.. but today ive found if i drive over 65 miles an hour the steering wheel wobbles and vibrates...

Also for a car that naturally pulls to the left it seems now to want to pull to the right!

Im thinking of taking it back to the tracking centre first but wondered if any techs may throw some light on whether it could be the rack or alignment.

Cheers all

Edited by Static

I would say wheel balance.

Now thats interesting... a week before i had the new steering rack fitted and then the tracking done i had two new tyres fitted on the front by kwik fit (the only place that had uniroyal rainsports in stock!)

I think i should go pay them a visit knowing what kwik fit are like they probably havent balanced them right, doh.

Thanks for that Moggytech

Now thats interesting... a week before i had the new steering rack fitted and then the tracking done i had two new tyres fitted on the front by kwik fit (the only place that had uniroyal rainsports in stock!)

I think i should go pay them a visit knowing what kwik fit are like they probably havent balanced them right, doh.

Thanks for that Moggytech

There was a quality issue with Uniroyal Rainsports, hence why most places are out of stock. Possible you got a pair of duff tyres.

Went back to kwik fit today, they rebalanced the wheels and told me i had a buckled wheel but thought it was not bad enough to warrant changing over with the spare!

Also they said the front suspension was loose. When tightening up the wheel nuts there is a lot of play in the front suspension, rocks front and back when moving the wheel.

Car has done 33000 miles so im guessing perhaps the bushes?

Funny thing is after having the wheels rebalanced the car does not shake or pull to the right now so it was the balancing that caused it.

Should i be worried bout the play in movement of the front wheels and does 33000 miles seem low for the bushes to be wearing out?

Thanks

The bushes are rubber, so will also depend on the cars age and also how hard a life the suspensions had! Get on your back under the front wheels and have a look at the console bushes, see if you can see any obvious splits/cracks or sagging.

Keep an eye out for uneven tyre wear, I believe that worn console bushes can cause excessive wear on the shoulders of the front tyres.

If they seem sh*gged, get them replaced with the ibiza cupra ones and never worry about them again B)