VRS XDS

I remember the interest that was generated on here when we found out the the Octavia VRS was getting the XDS electronic diff system.

Can I ask if anyone has noticed on their car ?..has it made any difference ...really ?

It may be my sedate driving style but in all honesty I can see little difference in my new VRS; to the LE est I had last year and my earlier 07 PD version. Presumably unless you are driving

"on the limit" or giving it some; this will be the case ?

So for all of you more "sporting" VRS drivers what are you opinions ? ......Emperors new clothes or a vital bit of kit ?

Any thoughts or comments welcome.

And on the same point, how can you tell if you have it installed on your car. I know that it all seemed to revolve around week 45 / 2009, but has anyone managed to establish precisely how to tell if it is on a particular car.

Edited by Deepjoy

There's no visual feedback when it's working, as far as i can tell. Wonder if i we can observe it via VCDS hooked up to the car on measuring blocks? I've never looked.

It's hard to get concrete info on it, from the VW Technik site i found it's not a full imitation lsd, e.g. it's only used when there's a steering angle above X degrees, site claims it's not engaged for straight line traction :thumbdown:

EDIT: Seems it's just the function of ESP where it brakes the inside front wheel in a corner to tighten the line has been broken out of the "ESP" label and give it's own name.

Edited by Mute

yes, its very noticable.

i did 90k miles in a mk5 gti prior to the vrs. really used to **** me off where a tiny amount of wheel slip would cause the over zelous traction control to chop the power completely - leaving you fuming and making progress jerky and frustrating. Its a fwd 200bhp car FFS - I EXPECT it to spin its wheels some of the time, i does not mean i'm about to crash! As a result of my petulance i frequently switched the tc off on the golf - preferring a (driver controlled) temporary loss of traction rather than a computer nanny coming between me and the driving. N.b. if you switch the tc off, the asr (?) and abs software is still operational so it'll still try and save you if you're really overcooked it.

With my 2010 vrs (with xds) i have never felt the need to switch off the tc. The light flashes when one of the wheels is losing traction but it is only to show you its braking the wheel that is spinning - it does not cut the power away from you completely like the pre-xds cars did.

Much better solution. Its still no lsd but a million miles better than the clumsy older tc system.

I do think however they are overselling it. It really is just a tc that works properly IMO. :p

Edited by rob_e