octavia tdi starting troubles

hi can anyone help my mk1 51plate octavia tdi takes about 10-15 cranks before starting ? iv had the glow plugs changed and its made no diffrents ? when i crank the car over there looks to be air getting in along the clear fuel pipe but when it starts it runs fine with no smoke please can someone give me some advise cheers! ant

hi can anyone help my mk1 51plate octavia tdi takes about 10-15 cranks before starting ? iv had the glow plugs changed and its made no diffrents ? when i crank the car over there looks to be air getting in along the clear fuel pipe but when it starts it runs fine with no smoke please can someone give me some advise cheers! ant

Just an outside guess but do you park it on a hill? I mean with the nose up? Had a mate once with a Citroen which wouldn't start cause of the hill and the fuel was flowing back to the tank. Anyway, could also indicate air in the system. FYI mine starts after a couple of turns and I always see a few bubbles in the pipe going into the pump so I assume that is normal.

Maybe a few other members have ideas?

As for glowplugs, you did know that these engines only use the plugs below 5C ambiant temp?

My glowplug light comes on even in the hottest temperatures for a few seconds. Does that mean they are switching on and shouldn't?

I've never known the glowplug light not come on, in any conditions. That doesn't mean they're always being powered up though, the brief flash might be the engine checking the cylinder temperature and being happy with it. As for the poor starting, maybe knackered injectors? Mine are a bit worn so mine doesn't like starting so much in cold weather, although it's fine with the mild temperatures at this time of year.