Yeti VRS

Yeti-RS

Well there isnt one and most likely never will be, but it doesnt stop me day dreaming!.

I just ordered myself a Yeti 1.2 DSG and coming from a Infiniti M35 its a step down, but its not so bad i guess.

I recently saw an article in VW driver and there was a company building VW sciroccos with R36 engines and 4WD drivetrains, the editorial stated that because the scirocco used the exact same platform as the golf, everything just swapped over without too much hassle.............

Ohhh that got me thinking, you see in Taiwan (where i am) labour is cheap, insanely cheap compared to the rest of the world, the quality of work is pretty good too, you can see where im going with this dont you?.

Lets say we have a used R32 engine with DSG box and full ECU, obviously it fits right in as does the differential........... can anyone forsee any issues that could possibly pop up?.

Im guessing the ECU might be a headache?

Or how about something more simple and cheaper, you have a new 2.0tsi engine complete without gearbox, will the 7 speed DSG bolt on do you think?

Its just a wild thought i have been having, i really love the yeti but in Taiwan they dont offer the 1.8tsi or the 170bhp diesel so the only way to get a fast one would be to build your own ;)

Well there isnt one and most likely never will be, but it doesnt stop me day dreaming!.

I just ordered myself a Yeti 1.2 DSG and coming from a Infiniti M35 its a step down, but its not so bad i guess.

I recently saw an article in VW driver and there was a company building VW sciroccos with R36 engines and 4WD drivetrains, the editorial stated that because the scirocco used the exact same platform as the golf, everything just swapped over without too much hassle.............

Ohhh that got me thinking, you see in Taiwan (where i am) labour is cheap, insanely cheap compared to the rest of the world, the quality of work is pretty good too, you can see where im going with this dont you?.

Lets say we have a used R32 engine with DSG box and full ECU, obviously it fits right in as does the differential........... can anyone forsee any issues that could possibly pop up?.

Im guessing the ECU might be a headache?

Or how about something more simple and cheaper, you have a new 2.0tsi engine complete without gearbox, will the 7 speed DSG bolt on do you think?

Its just a wild thought i have been having, i really love the yeti but in Taiwan they dont offer the 1.8tsi or the 170bhp diesel so the only way to get a fast one would be to build your own ;)

Intriguing thought, but there are a few snags:

The torque capacity of the dry clutch 7 speed DSG is limited - 250 Nm I believe, so that is out.

You also need to wonder why the 6 speed DSG was not offered earlier for the Diesel Yetis? I again suspect trorque capacity, as the 4WD Yeti is heavier than the "normal" cars with this tranny, and may put more strain on it than VAG are happy with.

Intriguing thought, but there are a few snags:

The torque capacity of the dry clutch 7 speed DSG is limited - 250 Nm I believe, so that is out.

You also need to wonder why the 6 speed DSG was not offered earlier for the Diesel Yetis? I again suspect trorque capacity, as the 4WD Yeti is heavier than the "normal" cars with this tranny, and may put more strain on it than VAG are happy with.

Search eBay for a Veyron gearbox...

Oh anything in this world is possible. If you can fit a Chev V8 to a Porsche 928 or a Porsche engine to a 60s VW bus then any VAG engine can go in a Yeti. I've seen Audi A2s with 2.0 TSI engine conversions. Imagine that! A very lightweight aluminium super aerodynamic car with all that grunt! BUT as you can see it is normally only done to far older cars...

Why not have your own Yeti vRS, if the chassis & engine bay will take any of the vrs engines, then good luck, I would have thought a full transplant of engine, gearbox & ECU would be needed.

Given a couple of Fabia Mk1 estates have had Fabia vRS transplants - anything is possible

But the R32 was very powerful and almost equal with the diesels in torque and that had a 6 speed DSG.

I think VW didnt allow skoda to get 'everything' from their range!.

250nm is underated, i believe the new fabia and seat ibiza are kicking out close to 300nm?.

If so i dont believe the R32 engine exceeds that.