laptop charger died

gadgetman

My Toshiba laptop charger has died, and I can't seem to find a genuine replacement as the charger number comes up as discontinued.

It's a PA2521E-2AC3 15V 6A which seems to be 90w.

Most searches bring up stupidly cheap chargers which I'm not confident about and also need to source at a store for speed.

Does anyone have any experience of the igo slim charger currys sell? Seems to auto detect voltage requirements and claims to work with just about any laptop going.

I work at maplin, and I've never been a fan of the iGo chargers.

The output voltage depends on which tip you use. If you put one tip on, it will output 19v, put another one, it will output 22v. The only problem is that the tip that fits your laptop might not be the right voltage. Hope that makes sense.. :thumbup:

Oh, and if you do get a universal charger, don't get a trust branded one. It WILL break.

Edited by rk696

You need to make sure it is 15V though. Most are 19. You can get one that is higher than 6A, but never get one which is below.

How about this:

Laptop charger

We sell loads of them, and they're pretty good.

p.s. Mods, I'm not advertising maplin, I'm just sharing my experience with theire products

Hmmmm.

Maplins is a struggle to find, and the local one isnt easy to get to during the week. Really hoped the igo would do the job. I do have a multimeter, so can easily check the voltage 1st if this is the only stumbler.

Also the description says 120w? Thought you had to match watts?

Not all Toshiba laptop chargers will work fella. Some are 19v some are 15v and varying barrel socket sizes dependant on which family it came from.

I think I have one here that may suffice, only that doesn't really help you being as you need it quick. Get down the Currys and try theirs in store. If it doesn't work, walk back to the till and return it.

i had the same problem when my hp charger started to beep - original was £60, so brought a £7 off fleebay :rofl: what a POS. Spoke to my IT dept at work who all have HP laptops and told me to go on amazon and i picked up my genuine charger for £20 and it doesnt overheat like my original genuine one as well.

Nah, the wattage on the box is the maximum that charger can provide. Your laptop will only draw what it needs.

The important bit is voltage and current. The voltage has to be 15v, no matter what. The current can be 6A or higher. Again, your laptop will only draw what current it needs.

These chargers can also put out the full range of voltages with any tip.

Bought a PC line one from Currys, as Maplins are in difficult to reach places for me during the week.

Igo support say the slim one I was looking at wouldnt have worked anyway. Dont believe them based on what was on the box, but their loss.

My Acer adapter died. I bought one off Fleabay. does the job well enough

Bit late in day now ,but sometimes a look on a computer fair finds things like this and if the plug on the new one is not right - splice the one of the OEM one on the end of the cable of the new one ( making certain that the polarities are correct - usually on a drawing on the rear) .

. Another way of looking at PSU wattage is to think of it as speed rating of tyres - (Assuming the wheels fitted) you could and safely use Fabia vRS tyres on an ordinary Fabia ,but not the other way round .