MAP sensor

hey guys,

having some trouble...I'm suspecting MAP sensor. I lost some performance wich my octavia had in new and the fuel consumption, I'm suspecting MAP because the car still reaches 200kmh on the clock, so it couldn't be MAF.

Before, the fuel tank made 1300kms with some carefull-normal driving, and now some times don't even make 1000kms with one diesel tank. here's a explanation from a tec:

"Your engine’s Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor could be the culprit if you're still getting lousy gas mileage after a tune up. A MAP sensor continually compares atmospheric absolute pressure to the intake manifold vacuum and sends the appropriate voltage signal to the vehicle’s computer. The computer then decides whether to increase or decrease fuel supply to the engine and adjust spark advancement accordingly. A bad MAP sensor sending the wrong signal to the computer can disrupt fuel consumption and overall engine performance. But with these simple steps, we will be able to determine if the MAP sensor in your vehicle is giving out."

happened to any of you guys?

thanks in advance

What year is your car? Looks like the position is in a better one than mine.

hi! my car year is 99, here in Portugal ask me for 127€ for the MAP sensor which I arranged from ebay for £30 and 170€ for the entire door lock system (they don't sold the microswitch), that problem which can be solved with a 3€ microswitch.

cheers mate

hi! my car year is 99, here in Portugal ask me for 127€ for the MAP sensor which I arranged from ebay for £30 and 170€ for the entire door lock system (they don't sold the microswitch), that problem which can be solved with a 3€ microswitch.

cheers mate

That seems expensive. I bought my MAP sensor from Skoda here in the UK for £42.00. Unless it's a different sensor. What's your part number. Mine is 038 906 051 B. Octavia 2004 90HP.MAP22.jpg

Edited by lumac999

That seems expensive. I bought my MAP sensor from Skoda here in the UK for £42.00. Unless it's a different sensor. What's your part number. Mine is 038 906 051 B. Octavia 2004 90HP.MAP22.jpg

VERY expensive...my part number is 038 906 051 without the B. Where can I find the microswitch?

I'm thinking put a new MAP sensor because the car has simptoms similar to MAF (lose of performance and fuel comsumption), what is your opinion about that?

cheers

Edited by luis_palma

VERY expensive...my part number is 038 906 051 without the B. Where can I find the microswitch?

I'm thinking put a new MAP sensor because the car has simptoms similar to MAF (lose of performance and fuel comsumption), what is your opinion about that?

cheers

It is possible your MAP sensor is faulty but I would suspect the MAF first as other threads on this forum seem to suggest that.

I changed mine because I had problems with the car going into limp mode.

How bad is the fuel consumption? Have you checked for signs of a fuel leak somewhere?

It is possible your MAP sensor is faulty but I would suspect the MAF first as other threads on this forum seem to suggest that.

I changed mine because I had problems with the car going into limp mode.

How bad is the fuel consumption? Have you checked for signs of a fuel leak somewhere?

trust me, I've had MAF problems and the car is with strengh enough to say it's not MAF but I have VCDS and cable, so I'm gona test MAF today and sooner I tell you if MAF is ok or not :)

anyway, the fuel dropped from 1200kilometers normal driving with one tank, to 950kms and 1000kms entering in the fuel reserve. the top was 1372kilometers with one tank, with a driving like an old man...2000rpm switched gear, putting in NEUTRAL in the streets that were going down...

a quick test of MAP sensor is to check the reading (with VCDS or similar) with the engine not running - atmospheric pressure should read approx. 100kPA or 1000mBar (check against your local atmospheric pressure on the day) depending on the units it reads in. If your reading is appreciably different then the MAP sensor is bad. It may of course read OK at atmospheric pressure, then read wrong at another pressure, but unlikely. MAybe you are already aware, but make sure you replace with exactly the same part number, the letter suffix B, C, D or Blank is very significant to the pressure range and output signal scale

Edited by richm

• 3 months later...