Suspension differences

Hi all ive had my fabia vrs a couple of days now and the main reason i bought one is because i was really impressed with my missus ibiza (1.9tdi 130 sport) and thought i was buying the same motor but in a different/better dress.

Every things seems pretty much the same the only thing im disapointed about is the fact it handles (in my opinion) no where near as good,, now i know i could put coilovers on uprated console bushes front and rear arb and so on!

But can anyone tell me what the differences between the two are as i like the ibiza`s handling not too harsh but the vrs is the car to have for me.

Tried various searches to get any info already available on here to no avail

Any help is appreachiated

Cheers Adam

Hi all ive had my fabia vrs a couple of days now and the main reason i bought one is because i was really impressed with my missus ibiza (1.9tdi 130 sport) and thought i was buying the same motor but in a different/better dress.

Every things seems pretty much the same the only thing im disapointed about is the fact it handles (in my opinion) no where near as good,, now i know i could put coilovers on uprated console bushes front and rear arb and so on!

But can anyone tell me what the differences between the two are as i like the ibiza`s handling not too harsh but the vrs is the car to have for me.

Any help is appreachiated

Cheers Adam

The only differences would be the Fabia is probably heavier.

Maybe it's down to wear and tear? What are the differences in the tyres?

You've got to remember they are both VAG cars. This basically means they are the same manufacturer.

As such VW specifically aim certain bands and types at certain markets.

As the Fabia is considered as less prestigeous than the Ibiza, it has been de-tuned slighty. This has probably been done via reducing the thickness of ARB's and reducing stiffness of springs.

If you're bored, swap them over and see if there's any difference :D

Same goes for Octavia vRS vs Gold GTI. Same chasis and engine. The Octavia is longer and should handle better. However the handling of the Octy has been de-tuned so the Golft GTI will be better (from factory).

VW doesn't really allow direct model-for-model competition among its models.

Particularly on performance models, each one from each "manufacturer" has its targeted market audience.

Little bit of modification, and naf factory handling can be left far, far behind :giggle:

Edited by snow_muncher

You've got to remember they are both VAG cars. This basically means they are the same manufacturer.

As such VW specifically aim certain bands and types at certain markets.

As the Fabia is considered as less prestigeous than the Ibiza, it has been de-tuned slighty. This has probably been done via reducing the thickness of ARB's and reducing stiffness of springs.

If you're bored, swap them over and see if there's any difference :D

Same goes for Octavia vRS vs Gold GTI. Same chasis and engine. The Octavia is longer and should handle better. However the handling of the Octy has been de-tuned so the Golft GTI will be better (from factory).

VW doesn't really allow direct model-for-model competition among its models.

Particularly on performance models, each one from each "manufacturer" has its targeted market audience.

Little bit of modification, and naf factory handling can be left far, far behind :giggle:

Cheers guys, I think i`ll have to get underneath both and have a good poke arounnd.

Edited by adambVRS

Any help is appreciated

Cheers Adam

Out of the box the handling is very soggy spaghetti I'm afraid. It can be tightened up by fitting Eibach springs or similar + better dampers or fitting a coilover kit. Then add a rear ARB from Whiteline or Jabbasport.

I know what you mean about the differences though. My brother has an Ibiza FR TDI facelift. The ride is harsh but the handling is miles ahead of the VRS.

J.

Out of the box the handling is very soggy spaghetti I'm afraid. It can be tightened up by fitting Eibach springs or similar + better dampers or fitting a coilover kit. Then add a rear ARB from Whiteline or Jabbasport.

I know what you mean about the differences though. My brother has an Ibiza FR TDI facelift. The ride is harsh but the handling is miles ahead of the VRS.

J.

Thanks for the reply good to know someone else has experienced both first hand, i think ill go for f&r arb and console bushes for now and see how that goes. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply good to know someone else has experienced both first hand, i think ill go for f&r arb and console bushes for now and see how that goes. :thumbup:

Only front ARB upgrade I know of is the Eibach one.

Rear ARB is easier in a sense. There isn't a factory one, so there's no requirement to disassemble existing metalwork. Choice is either Whiteline or Jabbasport.

J.