help.. flywheel timing

can you put the 4 hole (felicia) flywheel on in any position on the crank if the car has an ecu (distribuless)? if so how does the ecu know when to fire number 1?

I put it on just in any position.. it fits in all 4 positions.. when i try and start the car it is firing at the wrong time..

Sounds like you've put it on in the wrong place.

Usually you can see the witness marks on the flywheel from where the 'dummy' hole is drilled in the crank.

Handily I have a couple of diagrams which I made when I was messing about with another ECU, if it's an MPi:

mpi-flywheel.gif

flywheel.gif

which shows that TDC on No 1 is where the long tooth starts that isn't preceded by the small one - i.e. TDC on the flywheel would be the start of the long tooth at the 2 o'clock position on the second diagram.

if by luck you got it 180 out you could swap the igniter wires to the coilpack and the injector plugs may reach.. if not well unlucky lol.. as dj says you should be able to see the witness marks from the extra hole. or time it up with the crank pulley marks.

• 10 years later...
On 12/08/2010 at 16:46, djaychela said:

Sounds like you've put it on in the wrong place.

Usually you can see the witness marks on the flywheel from where the 'dummy' hole is drilled in the crank.

Handily I have a couple of diagrams which I made when I was messing about with another ECU, if it's an MPi:

mpi-flywheel.gif

flywheel.gif

which shows that TDC on No 1 is where the long tooth starts that isn't preceded by the small one - i.e. TDC on the flywheel would be the start of the long tooth at the 2 o'clock position on the second diagram.

• 2 years later...

I was disassembling the Skoda Felicia flywheel for cleaning when assembling again. Please know the direction of installation of the flywheel with pistons in the M 135 engine.1005019825_Screenshot_-.thumb.jpg.36f828f4f73c01b789e6c7b1fb0aacb2.jpg