Advice needed: Want to transport mountain bike on vRS Roof

Hi all

As the title suggests, on the family holiday in a few weeks I'd like to take my mountain bike, but there'll be no room inside the car for it (I usually take the front wheel off an sling it in with the seats down).

I don't like the idea of a rear-mounted carrier because presumably they must rest on the hatch glass or bodywork, also it'll be very useful to still have use of the hatch to get at our luggage and kids bits n pieces. So a roof-mounted carrier seems the obvious choice. I don't have the first clue on what bars or fittings I would need, but all I can gather so far is that I'll need (a) some roof bars and (B) a cycle carrier thingy to fit to them.

Any suggestions/links/do's & don'ts?

Thanks in advance! :smirk::thumbup:

Hi all

As the title suggests, on the family holiday in a few weeks I'd like to take my mountain bike, but there'll be no room inside the car for it (I usually take the front wheel off an sling it in with the seats down).

I don't like the idea of a rear-mounted carrier because presumably they must rest on the hatch glass or bodywork, also it'll be very useful to still have use of the hatch to get at our luggage and kids bits n pieces. So a roof-mounted carrier seems the obvious choice. I don't have the first clue on what bars or fittings I would need, but all I can gather so far is that I'll need (a) some roof bars and (B) a cycle carrier thingy to fit to them.

Any suggestions/links/do's & don'ts?

Thanks in advance! :smirk::thumbup:

If you can get to me, I have the full kit using Thule equipment, I have locking feet and aero bars and two 591 bike carriers you can borrow!, I know its a 2 hour drive from Preston but the gear is worth over £300 and does the job well, I use it all the time to go up to Dalby near me.

Hey SB,

if you have no luck getting to VRSerious I don't mind lending a hand. I work for Madison, Thule's UK Distributor, I can lend a hand working out what parts you'd need.

but as far as my views and opinions go, they are as follows:

whenever you can, inside the car, if you must use a carrier, rear mounted is the best bet, it doesn't ruin your fuel economy and you are less likely to forget and go into a car park with the bikes in your rear view mirror, think out of site, out of mind ;)) we do carriers now that don't touch the glass, the best option has always been tow-ball mounted, but if you don't have access to one of these, there are good alternatives.

do you have the hatchback or estate octy? I can give you further advice based on that if you'd like?

cheers,

Jake

Blimey some quick replies there :)

VRSerious - thanks for the offer mate :) I'm 'booked solid' right until we go away so I doubt I would get chance to get up to York, but I appreciate your kind offer all the same.

Jake - yeah part of the problem is working out what I'll need. The other issue is price, with a holiday coming up, the Missus on maternity leave and I have a child seat to buy as well I'm on a budget whether I like it or not. I have a hatchback Octy btw. :yes:

two of the easiest bit's there mate!

for roof mounted, follow this guide :

http://www.thule.com/en-GB/GB/FitGuide.aspx

or rear mounting, this one:

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?vertical=Cycling&tier1=Transport,+Storage+%26+Car+Racks&tier2=Rear+Mounted+Clip-on+Carriers&catref=TH9103

let me know if you want anymore help :)

Jake

Thule all the way for roof mounted carriers, if you've got an expensive bike don't take the chance of using a cheap carrier which could, and probably will, mark your frame! They tend to be all lockable as standard too.

I agree with Jake regarding towball carriers too, they're so convenient, loading the bike at a low height, etc and most of them tend to hinge on the towball allowing you access to the boot.

I used to work at Halfords (unfortunately) for 15 oh so long years so dealt with them a fair bit running Bikeshop!

I was told It wasn't advisable to have the rear mounted carrier. Its all because the Is no support around the top of the glass on the boot & the load support straps would have to be direct onto the glass.

Oggy, it depends what you want from the rack, rear mounted saves your fuel economy, I have used a clip on Thule rack for three years on my Fiesta and now my Fabia, having had no issues in this time transporting in excess of 40kgs worth of DH bike, but it's horses for courses!

Jake

having never owned an octy, I couldn't say, but I had the same issue with the Fabia's spoiler, in the end, I opted for this model, which was high enough to clear the roof spoiler and not damage the car when fitted.

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?vertical=Cycling&tier1=Transport%2c+Storage+%26+Car+Racks&tier2=Rear+Mounted+Clip-on+Carriers&catref=TH9103

the only issues arise when people put bikes on without thinking, handlebars, pedals and mechs can hit the car if improperly placed, but if you think about how they go on logically, it's a no brainer :)

hope this helps,

Jake

Just doing this myself. I bought the genuine roof bars from ebay, they seem to come up quite regular for around £50.00. Then I will be getting the the double bike rack from halfords. http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253917_langId_-1_categoryId_165515 its nearly the same price as a single thule carrier and has very good reviews. A chap at work has the same set up and has had no problems and its very sturdy.

Edited by OllieH

Oggy, it depends what you want from the rack, rear mounted saves your fuel economy, I have used a clip on Thule rack for three years on my Fiesta and now my Fabia, having had no issues in this time transporting in excess of 40kgs worth of DH bike, but it's horses for courses!

Jake

I know what your saying, but I'm only refering to what I've been told from a coulple of companies that sold bike racks when I was In the market for wanting to cart my bikes about. Like you said I probably would have got away with one, but I didn't want to put faith In the glass Itself supporting the weight.

Ok have had a butchers at the racks...

The Thule roof rack kits are pricing up at almost £200, which I just can't afford :(

Looking at the rear carriers, I suspect the VRS spoiler will be in the way, and the cables that hold both halves together would surely interfere with the bodywork? Unless it opens out a bit more? I need to offer one up and see if it adjusts enough to fit without resting on the glass or fouling the spoiler.

I can see via the madison dealer locator that there's a dealer in my village (Leyland) - I might drop by this weekend to see if they have any in, that we could take a look at. :)