Noisy Aircon

Hi,

I have a 1998 1.9TDi Estate Octavia.

I use my aircon nearly 100% of the time and have done for years without problem (just 1 regas about 2 years ago)

3 days ago I noticed a flapping noise (like when you were a kid and you put playing cards in the spokes :) ) This noise seemed to be coming from the bulkhead area at the drivers side.

The noise increased in speed with engine revs and I was really worried it was a gearbox issue.

Then I discovered that pushing the AC to off position stops the noise.

Does this mean the compressor is shot or is there a separate fan in the area that would make this noise?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Keith

Hi,

I have a 1998 1.9TDi Estate Octavia.

I use my aircon nearly 100% of the time and have done for years without problem (just 1 regas about 2 years ago)

3 days ago I noticed a flapping noise (like when you were a kid and you put playing cards in the spokes :) ) This noise seemed to be coming from the bulkhead area at the drivers side.

The noise increased in speed with engine revs and I was really worried it was a gearbox issue.

Then I discovered that pushing the AC to off position stops the noise.

Does this mean the compressor is shot or is there a separate fan in the area that would make this noise?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Keith

Did have similar , on my TDI found it was the Aircon Fan on the radiator , there are 2 , 1 is for the Aircon , this was running bad , nearly seized up , had it changed prob solved . Check when engine off to see if the Fan ( larger of 2 ) can be spun by hand with free movement . May be other probs , but that was mine .

Edited by johnmb

Both fans are running fine.

Nut is on comp pulley and pulley feels secure with auxillary belt still in place.

I have now managed to re-create the noise when stationary with my head under the bonnet.

AC switched on and a brick on the accellerator to increase the revs a little.

It sould like a spitfire (aeroplane type) but its so loud that I still can't tell where its coming from :(

Seems to be mid down the eng compartment on the off side. further back and higher than the compressor

Sound a lot like a blowing exhaust but obv that wouldn't shut off with AC button.

Might need to get it up in the air to examine from underside.

Cheers

Keith