Finally got the car this weekend

Hi

Finally got my Mk 1 Octavia 4x4 this weekend. As per a previous thread it comes with a list of Awesome extras (pun intended).

89k , full Skoda and Awesome service history, mods as per sig and 14k worth of bills (yes I added them up whilst listing the mods for insurance).

It's off to Jabba tomorrow for a professional once over anyway as they are not far from me. Got a few general questions if I may.

1/ Did any petrol car come with underbonnet sound deadening. I used to have use a diesel Elegance as a work pool car and remember that came with it. The car is understandably noisier due to the mods but most of it comes from up front.

2/ 6 speed box. Did any Mk1's have a 6 speed box, VRS or otherwise. Audi's and VW Golfs from the Mk4 era of similar spec all seem to have them. I keep changing up to a non existent 6th....

3/ Keys off ebay. It didn't come with a second key. I have ordered a blank HAA-W flip blade off ebay and my local locksmith will cut it. Skoda dealer charge to code is £35+VAT. Has anyone ordered a new key off the various vendors on ebay selling new keys with transponder and sucessfully had it coded? There was a recent thread about 3 button fobs but I couldn't see that anyone had the key recoded.

Cheers

1) I've not seen any with underbonnet sound deadening and I've seen VRS's, 1.8T 4x4s, L&K diesels, various other Octavias. Worth trying a dealer though just in case. They are still producing the Mk1 for Taxis so it may be they do now do a sound deadening liner for the bonnet.

2) The only Mk1s that had the 6 speed 02M box were the higher end diesels (Elegance or L&K). The Leon Cupra R came with one IIRC (the 02M ERF).

Edited by chicken_eyebrow

1) I've not seen any with underbonnet sound deadening and I've seen VRS's, 1.8T 4x4s, L&K diesels, various other Octavias. Worth trying a dealer though just in case. They are still producing the Mk1 for Taxis so it may be they do now do a sound deadening liner for the bonnet.

2) The only Mk1s that had the 6 speed 02M box were the higher end diesels (Elegance or L&K). The Leon Cupra R came with one IIRC (the 02M ERF).

Only the 130 bhp tdi has the 6 speed box , like my one ,

My 2001 110TDI Elegance has sound deadening material under the bonnet.

Sounds nice. Any pics?

I might have a 3-button key spare somewhere. Can look if you want.

Steve

Yes please, if you don't mind?

As for pics, I'll get some up when I have had time to give it a proper claying and clean. Doesn't look much different to any other Elegance though - which was the appeal of it really - all go and no show ;)

6spd was fitted to some golfs, some a3s some tts and all leon cupras and cupra rs

Thanks Sweedish. Just curious as to why the Skoda didn't get the same box as the A3 Quattro's / Golf Vr6 4 Motion . Cost as usual I suppose given the Elegance is not a performance car out the box.

The 'box on mine was rebuilt 2 years ago with a G60 conversion. I am just used to the 6 speeds from the Octy 2 VRS and ST.

Err am i being thick or have i got sound deadening under the bonnet of my 02 vrs??? Here's a pic

IMG00058-20100901-1851.jpg

Mine doesn't have it. You must be special

4825451021_5f74879538_z.jpg

:p I'm special! :rofl:

Don't seem to make much difference, if anything makes the cai and dump valve louder and makes all the noise seem to come from behind the dash.

Did any petrol car come with underbonnet sound deadening. I used to have use a diesel Elegance as a work pool car and remember that came with it. The car is understandably noisier due to the mods but most of it comes from up front.

My 2001 4x4 didn't have any under the bonnet, but managed to pick up a new one for £12 from eBay, not sure how much it would be from a dealer though.

My 2001 4x4 didn't have any under the bonnet, but managed to pick up a new one for £12 from eBay, not sure how much it would be from a dealer though.

Did it make any difference? Was supposed to be in today at the dealers but wasn't. Cost = 25 inc vat. Got a VRS engine cover off ebay for £15 and fitted that today, after taking a chunk out the RHS due to the DV relocation pipe. Made it a bit quieter. Not expecting miracles due to the various uprated mounts and bushes fitted.

Rob -great website!

Edited by modra_vrs