How does variable servicing work?

I have A 1.9tdi octavia and a couple of things have happened. The service light states it's due in 2000 miles and it will have covered 50000 miles then, what is due?

The other thing is the low oil light came on (solid Amber) but it was serviced about 6000 miles ago, does it go through oil that quick?

Do you really mean what your query seems to say, that the oil level has not been checked for 6000 miles, and you only checked it when the warning light came on. You should check the oil level at least once a week, if using a lot of oil more often, by the time the light comes on damage may have happened.

Do you really mean what your query seems to say, that the oil level has not been checked for 6000 miles, and you only checked it when the warning light came on. You should check the oil level at least once a week, if using a lot of oil more often, by the time the light comes on damage may have happened.

No, no. I bought the car at 44000. I have checked it every couple of weeks however it was servuced prior to me buying at so i assumed there should be no reason for the oil level to drop that much within 6000 miles.

No, no. I bought the car at 44000. I have checked it every couple of weeks however it was servuced prior to me buying at so i assumed there should be no reason for the oil level to drop that much within 6000 miles.

Yes it can go through oil that quick, Skoda themselves state in the handbook that oil consumption up to 1 litre per 1000 kilometers is acceptable, you have done well over that mark and there is not much more than 1 litre between high and low marks on dipstick.

My Octy TDI on variable can use about 2 litres of oil in 30k miles.

Remember that variable servicing requires vagcom (or a tool/dealer) to reset it, fixed you can do by following the instructions int the owners book.