Roof Bar fitting instructions

Hi,

Bought a pair of Skoda Roof bars on eBay but they don't come with the original instructions. The sellar has provided an email with detailed instructions to fit them but I was wondering if there is anywhere online where I could download them? Or if any kind Briskodian who could scan a copy of theirs and email me them?

Thanks

Hi,

Bought a pair of Skoda Roof bars on eBay but they don't come with the original instructions. The sellar has provided an email with detailed instructions to fit them but I was wondering if there is anywhere online where I could download them? Or if any kind Briskodian who could scan a copy of theirs and email me them?

Thanks

Bump, anyone?

Thule supply a lot of VAG dealers with their roofbars, not 100% sure about Skoda though, however there website is really good and IIRC you can download fitting instructions from them. Any problems ring them, they're very helpful.

HTH

Hi, I have a pair of OE bars for the mk2 octy, they are made by altera a german company,

Superb quality and easy to fit. Don't have access to fax or scanner at the moment but will try this week sometime if u want? They should be stamped on the fixing bracket FR and LR then RR and RL you should also have a small torque wrench to ensure they are correctly tightened or not over tightened.

Hi, I have a pair of OE bars for the mk2 octy, they are made by altera a german company,

Superb quality and easy to fit. Don't have access to fax or scanner at the moment but will try this week sometime if u want? They should be stamped on the fixing bracket FR and LR then RR and RL you should also have a small torque wrench to ensure they are correctly tightened or not over tightened.

I've just used Octy/VRS fitting kit for thule bars & box (using some vileda mock chamois as a buffer betwixt metal bits and car) and found that they work OK but they have left marks in the paint work. Surprising, as I have used this method on my previous 3 cars without problem (same bar kit for MG ZS180, Mazda 6, Mondeo with different adaptation for Octy). I think the Skoda Octy VRS race blue paint may be a bit fragile compared to previous cars. Perhaps I should have trusted the fixings and not tightened too much.

I'm sure I have a paper manual somewhere, and I'll see if I can get it copied at work. However I won't be in the office until later in the week, so if you haven't got it sorted, let me know!

Word of warning, don't use them without the torque wrench! Tightening them up too much puts dents in your roof! Too loose and the move, and scratch the paint! There are a few folks on here who have got the T shirt!

Personally I've used them since the car was new, and touch wood they have been fine.

HTH

Thanks,

Will let you know once they arrive. Hopefully it will be straightforward. if I get into problems will take you up on the offer of assistantance.

Regards

Word of warning, don't use them without the torque wrench! Tightening them up too much puts dents in your roof! Too loose and the move, and scratch the paint! There are a few folks on here who have got the T shirt!

Even with the correct, supplied torque wrench I have dents :'(

Not sure the A or B version is the issue. Mines the A version and works fine. I just don't torque them up fully in one go. Torque each one up about half way then move round to the next. Once I'm convinced all is aligned properly I go round an torque each on in turn to the final setting. Seems to have worked for me sofar.

Oh and others have said, don't overload them!

Fingers x'd mate!

Edited by uncle bulgaria

Not sure the A or B version is the issue. Mines the A version and works fine. I just don't torque them up fully in one go. Torque each one up about half way then move round to the next. Once I'm convinced all is aligned properly I go round an torque each on in turn to the final setting. Seems to have worked for me sofar.

Oh and others have said, don't overload them!

Fingers x'd mate!

Cheers. it's a 4 yr old car anyway, will be 8 by the time I get rid of it and worthless, so a few dents won't do any harm. Prefer not to have them in the first instance if they can be avoided.

Is this a fault of the roofbars? or the load you placed on them? What revision of the bars do you have? A or B?

It was the later revision bars I have. The one with the 'improved' torque wrench - the one that makes it impossible to over torque the fittings - the one that makes it impossible to dent your roof - the one that is fool proof.

All correctly fitted. No load applied at all - first fitting of the bars and they dented! :'( :'( :'(

Skoda UK were 'stnuc' - they did not want to know. Blamed me for incorrectly fitting their bars. I've fitted bars for years to all sorts of VW's with never so much as a scratch or scuff. Finally got an offer from the supplying dealer for 25% towrds the bodyshop costs of repair - which would be useless if I ever wanted to fit bars to the roof again as the flexing would cause the repair/filler to fail.

i just bought thule roof bars for my mk 2 hatch great they are simple to fit go nice and tight and dont move about realy happy with them B)B)

and no damage to the roof I guess?

Cheers

ACSC

It was the later revision bars I have. The one with the 'improved' torque wrench - the one that makes it impossible to over torque the fittings - the one that makes it impossible to dent your roof - the one that is fool proof.

All correctly fitted. No load applied at all - first fitting of the bars and they dented! :'( :'( :'(

Skoda UK were 'stnuc' - they did not want to know. Blamed me for incorrectly fitting their bars. I've fitted bars for years to all sorts of VW's with never so much as a scratch or scuff. Finally got an offer from the supplying dealer for 25% towrds the bodyshop costs of repair - which would be useless if I ever wanted to fit bars to the roof again as the flexing would cause the repair/filler to fail.

Frightening ! might test them on my Dad's first ! :D

• 3 years later...

Can anyone let me know how the torque wrench supplied with a set of genuine Skoda Octavia 2006 hatchback roof bars is supposed to work? Bought a used set off a Briskoda member today. The torque wrench looks like this :

post-77065-0-65292500-1408210524_thumb.jpg

It doesn't look exactly the same as mine, which is a T shape where as yours is an L shape, but as you tighten up it will eventually click and feel like something has slipped or given way inside the wrench when you get to the correct torque and that's it done.

It doesn't click , all that seems to happen is the steel Allen ket comes out of the plastic holder when it starts to get tight? Is that as good as it gets. I have torque wrenches for refurbing motorbikes which do the slip/click thing but pretty sure they won't be accurate down to the torque setting required for a small Allen bolt as this.

Anyone else have the same torque wrench as mine?