TFSI VS PD170

I know the diesel engine is good in the vrs, but I don't do too many miles and couldn't bring myself to give up petrol power. I think a 335d BMW might be the only diesel that would tempt me at present. Most modern sports diesel feel rapid but then its all over and you are left with a odd sensation towards the redline, its hard to put into words but reving a petrol powered version towards the redline is more satisfying and more rewarding.

When the wife and l test drove the vrs in both fuels in 07 we found the petrol easy to drive around town or when just pottering about but when you wanted it to go we found it was a case of wait for it, wait for it, wait for it ok we going now and as for the lack of engine braking in the petrol i.e. lift off freewheel time,but we loved the pd power from anywhere in the rev range good engine braking and to us a lot more fun, over 3 yrs of owner ship very little probs with dpf and now have a new fl cr. :rofl:

The diesel VRS also has 2 different engines, the old PD and the new CR.

What's the difference between the PD and the CR diesels then?

But to answer the OP - its TSFI for me. I drive the CR Diesel and I love it, so much more torque than in the TSFI, but for me you cant beat a well set up petrol variant, plus the noise from the TFSI with the right blend of uprated downpipe and sports cat wins hands down in comparison to the "look at me, I drive a bus" noise that the diesel makes!

But to answer the OP - its TSFI for me. I drive the CR Diesel and I love it, so much more torque than in the TSFI, but for me you cant beat a well set up petrol variant, plus the noise from the TFSI with the right blend of uprated downpipe and sports cat wins hands down in comparison to the "look at me, I drive a bus" noise that the diesel makes!

The PD was a bit noisy becuase of the multiple high pressure feeds direct to the injections which created that clatter that everybody hated. Actually the PD ie the very highly accurate fuel metering is in the Common Rail CR engines but it has this "common rail" of pressurised fuel which happends to make the engine sound and feel smoother. What has improved very much is the electronic mapping between the PD generation ad the CRs. far more computing power and better sensors feeding the ECU have improved tractabilty as well. Common rail is actually old technology going back 40 or 50 years. Super accurate fuelling, machining and developing materials are where improvements have occured in the main. So CR is a better than PD in the smoothness department and other factors have helped things but direct injection on the TSI petrols and use of turbos and superchargers (on 1.4TSI 180hp) have brought petrols close to diesel effeciency but with ability to have a power band from 1700 rpm to 6500 rpm instead of only 1700 to 4500 rpm as diesel are more rev limited due to heavier pistons etc and power= 2 x Pi x revs x torque.

The difference in driving between the 2 is very marked.

The CR is a lot more petrol like to drive compared to the PD with a wider and more progressive power band. It is also quieter . The CR is also better on fuel.

The said the PD can be a lot of fun, it is noiser etc. but the surge of power at around 2k rpm is very addictive. In reality it normally means lots of wheel spin and loss of speed from corners etc. but it is a lot of fun and makes it feel like you are going much faster. Never failed to put a smile on my face anyway (always cool to have wheel spin in second!!!!!).

Ultimately the CR is more driveable and I am sure quicker than the PD but it has lost some of the fun of the PD!!!!