Sorry, another grille thread...

2SkodaFamily

Finally got round to painting mine.

Before:

100_1607.jpg

And after....

done with Wilkinson's project paint, @£2.97 per can (with primer undercoat of course). Will probably come off if I wash it! emoticon-0140-rofl.gif will then have to buy from proper paint from Halfords! Waiting to get a new badge to replace the original as didn't want to put the 'orrid looking original one back.

SWMBO won't travel in it now until I put the badge back on! emoticon-0114-dull.gifemoticon-0140-rofl.gif

100_1614.jpg

This may be a silly question but how easy is it to remove the grille and split it to paint the chrome surround??

Also how much was the badge lol, looks good though :)

Edited by DanBoy

There are six torx (T20 or T25 IIRC) which hold the whole grille assembly (surround, chrome and grille) onto the bonnet.

The chrome can be remove by flipping the assembly over and carefully prising out the catches with a flat bladed screwdriver or two. The badge is a bit of a PITA to remove though.

Badges are around the £6 to £15 mark depending on where you buy them and if they are genuine.

There are six torx (T20 or T25 IIRC) which hold the whole grille assembly (surround, chrome and grille) onto the bonnet.

The chrome can be remove by flipping the assembly over and carefully prising out the catches with a flat bladed screwdriver or two. The badge is a bit of a PITA to remove though.

Badges are around the £6 to £15 mark depending on where you buy them and if they are genuine.

Ah cool, thanks for your help, I can that being my next job :)

You can also remove the Chrome surround when its on the car without taking the whole thing off, there are tabs inside the grill, I just pushed these through carefully and then pulled the Chrome surround off :thumbup:

Ive done mine in Carbon Fibre wrap

003-1.jpg

P.S Good job on the grill 2SkodaFamily :yes:

Edited by TommyJ_VrS

Just checked the grille this afternoon and it seems there are three or four small (but visible) stone chips in the new paint already. emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Guess I'll have to rub it down and paint it again, but this time put some lacquer on? Or would some "proper" paint (e.g. from Halfords) last longer?

Just checked the grille this afternoon and it seems there are three or four small (but visible) stone chips in the new paint already. emoticon-0124-worried.gif

Guess I'll have to rub it down and paint it again, but this time put some lacquer on? Or would some "proper" paint (e.g. from Halfords) last longer?

did you de-chrome it first?

i used halfrauds primer, paint and laquer and its been fine (done about a year) no chips or anything to report :thumbup:

b3ac8bb6.jpg

Edited by sivrs

did you de-chrome it first?

i used halfrauds primer, paint and laquer and its been fine (done about a year) no chips or anything to report emoticon-0148-yes.gif

No, just a bit of a rough up with some 150 sandpaper, 2 coats of wilko's primer and a couple of the gloss black.

How do you dechrome it?