Fabia VRS new turbo needed, any pointers?

F.A.B.

Morning Ladies and Gents,

Turbo failed on me lastnight, in the Dartford tunnel of all places! Had the pipework off thismorning and the sheared impeller shaft dropped out then found the nut with the remaining shaft half way down the outlet pipe. So any pointers on where to get a new turbo from?I phoned the local skoda dealer and he's getting back to me with cost etc. I know what I'll mostly be doing this weekend now then.

Thanks gents, it's as standard 130bhp, 2005 plate, 84,000 on the clock. Regulary serviced by me with PD oil every 12,000 or 6 months. I didn't have it from new (brought it at 37,000 miles) but with Skoda service history. Think I was just Mr. Unlucky for it to go and in the Dartford tunnel.

Spoke to a guy called Kevin at Jabba, very helpful, £750 for a pd150 Garrat turbo, trying to consider my options.

Any input appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers for the info, what happens when it fails does the engine cut off with a loud bang? or does it just be smokey. Was there any signs of it failing noises etc?

Im just curious to recognise the symptom of a turbo failure.

Thanks

It lost all boost with a ploom of black smoke out the back but engine kept running fine. Could only just manage the slight incline out of the tunnel and was slowing from 40mph with my foot to the floor. Only a gentle bang but there's a difference between the turbo blowing a seal and dumping all the engine oil to having the impeller shaft shear where basically it just becomes normally aspirated. No sign of it happening beforehand, the noise afterwards is like a squeek rather than a whistle. You certainly know when it's gone!

• 1 month later...

It lost all boost with a ploom of black smoke out the back but engine kept running fine. Could only just manage the slight incline out of the tunnel and was slowing from 40mph with my foot to the floor. Only a gentle bang but there's a difference between the turbo blowing a seal and dumping all the engine oil to having the impeller shaft shear where basically it just becomes normally aspirated. No sign of it happening beforehand, the noise afterwards is like a squeek rather than a whistle. You certainly know when it's gone!

eh up, been a while since you posted this, what did you do in the end??

mine might have gone this morning, now with awesome in manchester.

the problem i have is it is mapped, so if i change the turbo (if it is not pipes or anything else) i have to shell for a new remap

was pulling at a quick enough but not mental 165 bhp, and has been mapped for years.

i dont think it was this that has caused it. probably my driving as it gets a hard time. my last car was a 2.7 bi turbo s4 you see!

takes the mick if it is the turbo! this car was to save me money! lol

Guest BigJase88

pd150 will be more than fine on your current map :thumbup:

trust me you know when it fails if it blows a seal and dumps oil everywhere :o