To change or not to change..?

Boots

I loved my S3, would still like another one, nobrainer choosing between the S3 and the vRS ignoring running costs.

Problem with big power in any car is when and where do you use it? Wheelspin doesn't bother me so much, tramlining is a bigger problem when pushing on really hard. If you are sensible with it big power from a front wheel drive car is ok with modern tyres and brakes. I used to work with somebody who had a mark 2 Focus RS pushing out 400 bhpa and that was still seriously quick.

Thanks Brian, I appreciate your advice! What would be your thoughts on trading in a 4 year old car with 40k miles for an eight year old car with double the mileage? Guess the arguement would be a lot more car for the money and assuming the Audi' are generally fairly reliable then wouldn't be too bad a trade.

Do you know what the road tax situation will be on an S3? I know the pre 2000(?) ones are done on engine size but I thought I had read that they were upping the road tax on highly emitting cars? Dont really want to get a £400 road tax bill next year...

80000 is a lot of miles if its not been looked after; as long as you or somebody you know can give it a good once, preferably with a computer and on a ramp over you should be fine. Although I'd budget on needing to fix a few things when you get it, change of owner always seems to upset them for some reason.

I've no idea on the tax, but it is part and parcel of a more expensive car, tax will only be the start of it. :) I would guess running costs will be near double over the fabia, when including all that super unleaded for a tasty remap.