22,000km in Oz and still smiling!

c_balls

We have completed just over 22,000km in our Roomster TDI in Sydney, Australia and the car still continues to impress.

We have a TDI, however the way Skoda specs things here I think it is a little different to Europe, we have the 1.9tdi with maxidot, stability control, reversing sensors, roof rails, cruise control, Dance radio/CD and 15in alloys with 195/55 tyres

Overall have been super impressed, I had a very defined criteria for getting a new car and essentially was between Hyundai i30 CRDI, Holden (Opel/Vauxall) Astra CDTI and the Roomster TDI. Could only get the Astra 2nd hand so counted that out and drove both the i30 and Roomster. We had severe parking restrictions where we live right in the CBD of Sydney (car could be no longer than 4400mm max, and ideally 4200mm so you could still have access to boot/hatch) and after experiances in Europe and with parents living 100km away wanted a diesel. These were the only cars that fitted the bill, plus we needed room for all the gear associated with a new baby plus my cycling interest.

The Roomster won out against the the arguments of my wife that the car was ugly, I argued that it was a better drive, safer, more space/room, I didnt need to buy roof racks to be able to take my bike/s with me (they fit inside with just one seat taken out and it was European as opposed to Korean. Dont get me wrong, I think the i30 is a good car (great engine gearbox, and good spec) but the interior feels flimsy and cheap and does not steer or ride anywhere near as well as the Roomster. In contrast I think the Roomster is a GREAT car.

We have generally averaged about 5-5.5l/100km over this time with runs as good as 4.1l/100km and with a Sydney to Melbourne run with 4.6l/100km (sitting on between 110-120kmh). Considering is often takes 30-45mins to travel 10km I am pretty impressed.

The awesome thing is the wife has grown to LOVE this car and constantly reinforces that the Roomster TDI was the right decision. Coming from a 306S16 I knew it would be slower and also sacrificing significant handling prowess. However in the real world once rolling in most cases the Roomster is potentially quicker and definately far more relaxed, a favourite bit of road (twisty) that felt made for the 306 is similarly great in the Roomster, but instead of sitting at 4000-5500rpm to make fas smooth progress the calm Roomy gets through it in 3rd with revs generally in the order of 1700-3000max (with occasional short shift to 4th). That for me is one of the great attributes of the car, smooth and relaxed effortless progress which for such a small car is remarkable. On the Freeway in 5th with cruise at 110-115kmh nothing stops it, just eats hills.

Yes the 1.9tdi can be a little gruff, and unfortunately that fabulous surge from about 1500-3000rpm runs out all to soon, but the engine definately has character and the rubble nature of it has been a godsend to send our little boy to sleep on road trips, even he loves the Roomie. After 22,000km the front tyres have lost a little off the shoulders but otherwise seem remarkably wear free (Aus spec Bridgestone Turanza) and their performance has been pretty good, I expect with sufficient rotation we will easy get 40,000km. I guess it is not driven quite as 'enthusiatically' as the 306.

My only little niggles are:

- for some reason this cars attracts stone chips and chipped windscreen (already 1 cracked windscreen down) probably Murphys Law for getting a brand new car

- there was a buzz coming from passenger airbag/glove box which was fixed under warranty, but have a slight occasional buzz coming from dome light area

- there really should be a dome light in the rear passneger / lounge room area. No light here can make it a bit tricky getting the boy in his baby seat and finding all the buckles, straps and clips

Sorry for such a long post, but just really wrapt in this little car, every drive is enjoyed and often take th long way home just cause we can and it uses so little fuel that it doesnt matter too much.

We have completed just over 22,000km in our Roomster TDI in Sydney, Australia and the car still continues to impress.

We have a TDI, however the way Skoda specs things here I think it is a little different to Europe, we have the 1.9tdi with maxidot, stability control, reversing sensors, roof rails, cruise control, Dance radio/CD and 15in alloys with 195/55 tyres

Overall have been super impressed, I had a very defined criteria for getting a new car and essentially was between Hyundai i30 CRDI, Holden (Opel/Vauxall) Astra CDTI and the Roomster TDI. Could only get the Astra 2nd hand so counted that out and drove both the i30 and Roomster. We had severe parking restrictions where we live right in the CBD of Sydney (car could be no longer than 4400mm max, and ideally 4200mm so you could still have access to boot/hatch) and after experiances in Europe and with parents living 100km away wanted a diesel. These were the only cars that fitted the bill, plus we needed room for all the gear associated with a new baby plus my cycling interest.

The Roomster won out against the the arguments of my wife that the car was ugly, I argued that it was a better drive, safer, more space/room, I didnt need to buy roof racks to be able to take my bike/s with me (they fit inside with just one seat taken out and it was European as opposed to Korean. Dont get me wrong, I think the i30 is a good car (great engine gearbox, and good spec) but the interior feels flimsy and cheap and does not steer or ride anywhere near as well as the Roomster. In contrast I think the Roomster is a GREAT car.

We have generally averaged about 5-5.5l/100km over this time with runs as good as 4.1l/100km and with a Sydney to Melbourne run with 4.6l/100km (sitting on between 110-120kmh). Considering is often takes 30-45mins to travel 10km I am pretty impressed.

The awesome thing is the wife has grown to LOVE this car and constantly reinforces that the Roomster TDI was the right decision. Coming from a 306S16 I knew it would be slower and also sacrificing significant handling prowess. However in the real world once rolling in most cases the Roomster is potentially quicker and definately far more relaxed, a favourite bit of road (twisty) that felt made for the 306 is similarly great in the Roomster, but instead of sitting at 4000-5500rpm to make fas smooth progress the calm Roomy gets through it in 3rd with revs generally in the order of 1700-3000max (with occasional short shift to 4th). That for me is one of the great attributes of the car, smooth and relaxed effortless progress which for such a small car is remarkable. On the Freeway in 5th with cruise at 110-115kmh nothing stops it, just eats hills.

Yes the 1.9tdi can be a little gruff, and unfortunately that fabulous surge from about 1500-3000rpm runs out all to soon, but the engine definately has character and the rubble nature of it has been a godsend to send our little boy to sleep on road trips, even he loves the Roomie. After 22,000km the front tyres have lost a little off the shoulders but otherwise seem remarkably wear free (Aus spec Bridgestone Turanza) and their performance has been pretty good, I expect with sufficient rotation we will easy get 40,000km. I guess it is not driven quite as 'enthusiatically' as the 306.

My only little niggles are:

- for some reason this cars attracts stone chips and chipped windscreen (already 1 cracked windscreen down) probably Murphys Law for getting a brand new car

- there was a buzz coming from passenger airbag/glove box which was fixed under warranty, but have a slight occasional buzz coming from dome light area

- there really should be a dome light in the rear passneger / lounge room area. No light here can make it a bit tricky getting the boy in his baby seat and finding all the buckles, straps and clips

Sorry for such a long post, but just really wrapt in this little car, every drive is enjoyed and often take th long way home just cause we can and it uses so little fuel that it doesnt matter too much.

Melbourne here, and 1.6 petrol, not diesel, but I concur with everything you wrote.

Brilliant car, great value, loadsa room, a ton of accessories thrown in, great value.

I can only recommend the Roomy to anyone considering getting one.

PS A mate of mine, who is a Czech, told me that his Astra had 4 visits to get work done under warranty in 2 years! He is now shopping for a Skoda!

Dont apologise, most of us have a very soft spot for our roomies, its the nearest thing I know to a cult car. You dont see many but every one you see has a smiling owner.

One car that carries, cruises, corners and fits in a compact size parking space. How cool is that?

• 2 weeks later...

Dont apologise, most of us have a very soft spot for our roomies, its the nearest thing I know to a cult car. You dont see many but every one you see has a smiling owner.

One car that carries, cruises, corners and fits in a compact size parking space. How cool is that?

Great statement to summarise this car, thanks.

Its just a shame that the majority of people/drivers in Australia just dont 'get' it. A car can be a swiss army knife. Everyone thats come for a drive or had a sticky beak around the car and sat in it is impressed - just seems Skoda Aust does has not got its head around marketing it, and now it seems it will not be stocked at all.

To add insult to injury, now the Dealer where I purchased it at which I had a good relationship with Sales and Service Staff has sold the Skoda Licence to a new dealer.

• 4 months later...

I thought I would add this, to put things in perspective.

Mrs B and I were busy today, clearing things out for an upcoming house move. We had half a car full of stuff; clothes that needed washing before they go the Op Shop, a large desktop computer we are donating, some wine we picked up on the way, that sort of stuff. Anyway, we make the mistake of passing through a furniture outlet and the table we quite liked, and which we were considering buying when we settle into the new house, is on-sale; half price, they have one only and it will sell today.

So, we buy it. Problem is, because it is so cheap, they are going to nail us on the delivery fee. So, I suggest we take it with us.

"You can pick it up from the downstairs loading dock," says the sales gal. "What kind of car do you have?"

"A station wagon," say I, trying to not look at my aghast wife, who is certain that I am about to look like an idiot.

Twenty mins later, I drive up to the dock and present the receipt. A few mins later, 2 guys wheel the table -- which is heavy wood with metal legs, 1.5m long and which would not come apart except, perhaps, during a nuclear event -- out on a dolly.

"Where's your car?" asks one.

"There," say I, pointing at the Roomy in Czech Racing Grey.

"It's never going to fit in there!" says Mr Teen Moving Guy.

"Wanna bet?" I reply.

Ninety seconds later, all 3 rear seats have been folded and two of them are out of the car. In goes the table, with room to spare. The two seats go back between the table's legs, and we are ready to roll.

Here is the fun part. At the same time, a different and slightly smaller table is being delivered to a guy in a Holden Commodore Sportwagon. It will not go in. The look he gives me as I climb into the Skoda is worth the price of the car. Oh yeah, I am 1.90m tall...

I tried to attach an image but I can't figure it out.

Edited by branners

A brilliant story! WOuld love to see a photo. I think you just need to paste the URL of your image.

To post the URL, first you have to put it on an online site like Flickr or Facebook or the gallery page here.

Then, when you are displaying the image, right click on the image, select "properties" and then select and copy the URL displayed where it says "address".

Click on the "insert picture" icon (in the toolbar when editing your post) and paste the URL into the field and like magic...

130928222.hHSfny6K.R0010677.jpg

I thought I would add this, to put things in perspective.

Mrs B and I were busy today, clearing things out for an upcoming house move. We had half a car full of stuff; clothes that needed washing before they go the Op Shop, a large desktop computer we are donating, some wine we picked up on the way, that sort of stuff. Anyway, we make the mistake of passing through a furniture outlet and the table we quite liked, and which we were considering buying when we settle into the new house, is on-sale; half price, they have one only and it will sell today.

So, we buy it. Problem is, because it is so cheap, they are going to nail us on the delivery fee. So, I suggest we take it with us.

"You can pick it up from the downstairs loading dock," says the sales gal. "What kind of car do you have?"

"A station wagon," say I, trying to not look at my aghast wife, who is certain that I am about to look like an idiot.

Twenty mins later, I drive up to the dock and present the receipt. A few mins later, 2 guys wheel the table -- which is heavy wood with metal legs, 1.5m long and which would not come apart except, perhaps, during a nuclear event -- out on a dolly.

"Where's your car?" asks one.

"There," say I, pointing at the Roomy in Czech Racing Grey.

"It's never going to fit in there!" says Mr Teen Moving Guy.

"Wanna bet?" I reply.

Ninety seconds later, all 3 rear seats have been folded and two of them are out of the car. In goes the table, with room to spare. The two seats go back between the table's legs, and we are ready to roll.

Here is the fun part. At the same time, a different and slightly smaller table is being delivered to a guy in a Holden Commodore Sportwagon. It will not go in. The look he gives me as I climb into the Skoda is worth the price of the car. Oh yeah, I am 1.90m tall...

I tried to attach an image but I can't figure it out.

Great story!

And I totally agree - the amount of stuff you can get into a Roomster is simply amazing. I have transported (on different occasions of course) among other things:

- one freezer about 100l, in upright position!

- a spring mattress (or whatever they are called, a rigid mattress with steel springs inside), 80x200 cm (try getting that one into your average wagon)

- 5 pieces of a bookshelf system, each being 60 cm high, 25 cm deep and 80 cm wide (if I recall correctly), this wasn't even a tight fit

- 2 kids in their kid's chairs, a stroller, misc stuff from IKEA inluding 5 large steel baskets

If you have somewhere to leave the rear seats it's basically a van!

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it timely to add this...

Moving out of a house yesterday, we had to take apart the following items and move them.

Misc kitchen fittings, including electrical items like microwave, toaster, elec jug, silverware, a full set of cups, plates and bowls.

1 single bed, less mattress.

1 Queen Size waterbed; base (flat panels, like from Ikea), foam base, cover, wool zip-in panel, bladder (we removed all the H2O), heater, plugs, fittings.

A few boxes, containing boxes and CDs.

It all fitted in the Roomie and it went IN ONE TRIP. The seats came out of the back, and there was not much leg room in the front but it all went in.

Even after all the other adventures, I was truly amazed.

Long live the Tardis!