Squeaking on first start up

Hi all! From a cold start my car has acquired a noticeably louder squeak on starting up, sounds like a belt or something but doesn't get louder with revs so im ruling out cambelt, goes away after about 2 minutes.. I was thinking secondary air intake because that lasts about 90 seconds but wasn't too sure and definitely sounds more like a belt!

Any ideas? Should I worry?

Does it stop if you increase engine revs a bit?

If so my guess would be the auxiliary belt, they seem to squeal like this after a certain age/mileage.

If you replace the belt I would stick a new tensioner on it at the same time. It's a pretty straightforward job once you've gained access.

You should really get someone else to cold-start it while you have the bonnet already up to see if you can pinpoint it.

it will prob be your starter motor its a common fault on most vags

Hi mate, I dont mean when cranking the engine over, that sounds perfectly normal i mean when it's idling at a cold engine temperature

Does it stop if you increase engine revs a bit?

If so my guess would be the auxiliary belt, they seem to squeal like this after a certain age/mileage.

If you replace the belt I would stick a new tensioner on it at the same time. It's a pretty straightforward job once you've gained access.

You should really get someone else to cold-start it while you have the bonnet already up to see if you can pinpoint it.

Hi Bob, if i touch the throttle a bit so it holds at about 1,500 rpm from cold then yes it does stop, I thought it could well be the aux belt, I had a very similair sound on my saxo when that was going, but again after a few minutes sounds as good as new..

Could this be a sign of the belt beginning to fail, or a matter of urgency to change?

Thanks

Mine makes the same sound, when i got it looked at by a garage they said it is the starter motor bearings,

Quite a commen fault on vag cars as he had three others in the car park doing the same!!! :o

Its not something to worry about to much as it is just annoying to start up your car and have it make the noise in a busy place!!! :(

Mine makes the same sound, when i got it looked at by a garage they said it is the starter motor bearings,

Quite a commen fault on vag cars as he had three others in the car park doing the same!!! :o

Its not something to worry about to much as it is just annoying to start up your car and have it make the noise in a busy place!!! :(

Oh thats okay then :) not a massive worry

So the noise of the starter motor still continues after the engine has been turned over?!

Edited by Lew_VRS

So the noise of the starter motor still continues after the engine has been turned over?!

In my experience, the squeak on first start up is nearly always the auxiliary belt, The alternator puts a heavy load on just after a start. You can prove or disprove it quite easily. A few puffs of talcum powder on the driving surface of the belt will stop it for a while if it's the culprit.

It stays there for about 1 second after start up and sounds a lot more like a screech than a squeak and doesnt happen all the time but when it does its with variable time and volume!!!

I hope this helps but if i was you i would still take to a local garage just to make sure. :yes:

It stays there for about 1 second after start up and sounds a lot more like a screech than a squeak and doesnt happen all the time but when it does its with variable time and volume!!!

I hope this helps but if i was you i would still take to a local garage just to make sure. :yes:

nahh its not like that, I think i know what noise you mean

Mine occasionally makes a weird noise on cold start 0 almost like a whistle. I have a new aux belt ready to fit when I have time.

Anyone know the part number/cost of the tensioner?

Hi Rob, know you're in NZ but here is some idea of belt/tensioner

Belt - http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Octavia_1.8_2004/p/Car-Parts/Engine-Parts/Belts-Chains-and-Tensioners/Drive-Belts/?202441175&1&4e14f818bc79649d8160c26ea26a0b4912d69828&DBLT

Tensioner - think its the right one! http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Skoda_Octavia_1.8_2004/p/Car-Parts/Engine-Parts/Belts-Chains-and-Tensioners/Tensioners-Idlers-and-Dampers/?326440410&1&c3e72ef22b0d8b3c33c6e8a5d0a4578087bbaea2&TENS

HTH in some way to you

Hi Rob, know you're in NZ but here is some idea of belt/tensioner

Belt - http://www.eurocarpa...4912d69828&DBLT

Tensioner - think its the right one! http://www.eurocarpa...8087bbaea2&TENS

HTH in some way to you

Thanks :) Belt locally is $176 - about 80 quid!! I bought mine from Ebay UK for 23 quid delivered to NZ

Thanks :) Belt locally is $176 - about 80 quid!! I bought mine from Ebay UK for 23 quid delivered to NZ

Rob, they charge £80 for an aux belt? Bloody hell! absolute joke, are parts hard to get for skoda's? I only seen 1 octavia when I was in Aus could imagine them to be a pain in the arse to get hold of..

Rob, they charge £80 for an aux belt? Bloody hell! absolute joke, are parts hard to get for skoda's? I only seen 1 octavia when I was in Aus could imagine them to be a pain in the arse to get hold of..

Yeah they take the mick on most non-Japanese car part prices here. I buy almost everything cheaper from the UK or US.

Had a great example this week - I bought a set of SuperPro rear beam bushes. Made in Australia. There are two distributors in NZ. One wanted $219 + 15% GST, the other wanted $241 + GST

I paid $198 to PRI Racing including 18 quid postage to NZ. So the bushes have been posted 12,000 miles, a UK supplier who has made a profit and posted them 12,000 miles back again and they were still over 25% cheaper.

The downside of a population of 4.3 million - most of the manufactureres have one or two distributors and if you ring around you end up getting the same prices as they all talk to each other!!

It's not like VWs, Audis and Skodas are rare here either. But in NZ European = expensive.

Sorry, getting a bit off topic here!