100, 130, 150, 160?

Rob.

A little while ago I started a thread (well, a long while ago, actually).. asking if a mapped pd100 "went" like a stock PD130..

The general thought (including the opinion of NinjaAlex.. who's had both).. was that the PD100 @ 140ish would be quick and match the speed of the PD130 but that due to the difference in injectors, Turbo and gear box wouldn't have the same wollop that the PD130 has in a vRS.

Now, I've been thinking and a standard re-map on a vRS will easily give you a minimum of 160bhp.

How does a mapped PD130 compare to a real PD160 in the seat? Is it the same story again? It's got the speed but not the push due to smaller injectors and a smaller turbo? (if they're different? I'm not sure.. I know the Turbo must be?)

Thanks, Just wondering really..

Rob.

Edited by Rob.

i guess itl be a different kind of power delivery, mine is remapped by shark, and the power band is larger than std, ie it still pulls all the way to 5k, as apposed to a standard vrs which would run out of steam before 4k say? emoticon-0148-yes.gif

Hmmm.. ok , another question then...

Why does a mapped PD130 smoke even though it's putting out the same power as the PD160? Does the PD160 smoke from the factory?

Did you notice less smoke when the PD150 turbo went on?

Edited by Rob.

Yep, less smoke as the bigger turbo is moving more air. I have not had my original remap tweaked yet, as I am unsure of the gains I will achieve and don't want to spend a few hundred quid just to get an extra 5bhp!!

Hmmm.. so you've got a map to what, 170/180ish? A PD150 blower and I'm assuming a 160 intake?

Wonder how your car would stack up against a cupra 160 then.. and if the cupra's power delivery would be any more wollopy? I'm asuming the Seat FMIC is actally stock on a the PD160 so that must make a difference, but maybe not so much of the 1st couple of runs... Hmmmmm....lol.

Also, Does the PD160 use the same clutch and DMF as the Fabia PD130?

Edited by Rob.

Rob...planning something? :giggle:;)

HA! I wish......... Na, was simply just wondering about the in's and outs of the various flavors of 1.9 tdi PD.

Seems to me, a 2nd hand pd150 blower, 160 intake and custom map to around 170/180 would be the ideal combo. can't see this generating much more stress on components than the engine in PD160 form as long as the torque is kept similar as well? does the PD160 have any other differences? Injectors maybe, an even bigger turbo than the 150's?

Keith.. I really think you should get ya mapped reviewed because surely things like boost, fuelling and timing could be improved and if not for an overall gain.. but for a more optimized drive?

Edited by Rob.

HA! I wish......... Na, was simply just wondering about the in's and outs of the various flavors of 1.9 tdi PD.

Seems to me, a 2nd hand pd150 blower, 160 intake and custom map to around 170/180 would be the ideal combo. can't see this generating much more stress on components than the engine in PD160 form as long as the torque is kept similar as well? does the PD160 have any other differences? Injectors maybe, an even bigger turbo than the 150's?

Haha I see!

Yeah I'd agree with you there, I'm on a constant hunt for PD130/150 injectors and a Garrett GT1749vb PD150 turbo for my humble PD100, as well as a FMIC, EGR delete and a custom map to make it all work :D Already got the PD160 and decat/stainless system from my previous 140bhp map (but I'm now back to standard power). I'm chasing an everyday-driveable 170-180bhp. It won't happen for another year or so yet but I may as well start collecting the bits...

Edited by Leodhasach

Keith.. I really think you should get ya mapped reviewed because surely things like boost, fuelling and timing could be improved and if not for an overall gain.. but for a more optimized drive?

It's a difficult one, I agree with what you are suggesting and ideally I should get the map tweaked, I did get in contact with the original mappers, but to be honest they didn't seem that interested and they wanted nearly the whole cost of a remap just to fettle it. This is why I am still running the original map. If I was going to get the map fettled I would like to go to someone that has a rolling road, and could offer me a generic map for say a PD150 Golf (I feel that it would be better suited to my car running the PD150 blower) and see the improvements in front of me. My car is running 170bhp / 270lbft currently. I have been thinking about a FMIC too, but for me at the moment it's just too expensive to do the whole lot!

The name is Simon too - but don't worry it confuses everyone! :giggle:

Speaking of poor mapping. The "wallopy" power delivery you've mentioned a few times isn't really ideal - especcially in a remapped car. The power delivery in the standard vehicle can be troublesome on wet roads and so a similar delivery albeit with more torque wouldn't be that great a drive even if it would impress passengers when moving. Also worth considering the detrimental effect a 'spiky' torque curve would have on other engine components - clutch / flywheel's etc.

*edit - spelling.

Edited by Boots

Speaking of poor mapping. The "wallopy" power delivery you've mentioned a few times isn't really ideal - especcially in a remapped car. The power delivery in the standard vehicle can be troublesome on wet roads and so a similar delivery albeit with more torque wouldn't be that great a drive even if it would impress passengers when moving. Also worth considering the detrimental effect a 'spiky' torque curve would have on other engine components - clutch / flywheel's etc.

*edit - spelling.

I think you've missed my point a little.. I'm asking if the PD130, when chipped up, drives like a PD160? Or if it's like a PD100 trying to keep up with a PD130 where the difference in components is more noticeable, i.e. the 130 has that "wallop" the PD100 just can't give due to differences in other components.

So, potentially.. a vRS with PD150 turbo, 160 intake and map to take advantage of the top end and new available boost.. and could "move" just like a 160..(if ya wanted).. of course everyone will want more because it's obtainable and it's simply optimizing.. not screwing..

But that said, there's a piece of mind that comes with knowing you've reached the same level as tune as Audi "deemed" safe for the components.

Was the Cupra 160 available all over the globe, or even in all countries where Seat have a sales network.. because the whole "a remap optimizes your engine" thing comes from conditions and quality of fuel, right?

With the 160 being pretty highly tuned it wouldn't surprise me to find out it wasn't available in countries where the fuel can be a little iffy.

Edited by Rob.