This years flu jab anyone here had it yet

justinbarrow

I have the flu jab each year and have been told that this years jab includes swine flu protection, I have heard some stories about this having a few bad side effects and that it can make you sick for 3 days in some cases, after all like all these jabs they inject you with a small part of the virus so that your body can develope resistance towards it.

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has had it and if they have had any nasty effects from having it, I think if it was just the flu jab I wouldnt be that concerned but this year its all in one and not like it was last year where you could choose to have the swine flu bit or not.

Just wondered if it was just the usual scaremongering that goes around each year and if its ok.

I don't belong to a risk group so I never bother with the yearly flu jabs. I was scheduled for a swine flu jab last winter, but got the flu itself a fortnight before, and no point taking it afterwards.

I guess you can always expect being 'off' for a day, a slight temperature, a sore arm. But as Ive undertood, the active swine flu vaccine is not in itself worse or more powerful than the ordinary flu vaccine.

There was a lot of discussion last winter about additives to the vaccine (e.g. squalene) that should give a more efficient cocktail. These additives are not present in this year's vaccine (at least not here in Sweden) There have also been reports lately in Sweden and Finland that the number of children diagnosed with narcolepsy has gone up after the swine flu vaccination, although as I understand it no connection has been proved so far, could be a coincidence.

Edited by swedishskoda

Hi, I have been classed as high risk for the last 5/6 years and have only had the Swine Flu Jab (last year) The Doctors send for me every year but I ring up and cancel the appointment. I'm not a person who becomes ill, cannot even remember the last time I had a runny nose. If and when, I need the Jab then I will take up the offer, untill then I will keep my good health.

Also my wife works in the Local Doctors and She has not heard of any side affects, so if you feel you need it go and get it.

i know a few people that have the jab, but still get bad flu.

I opted out of the swine flu one last year ,and if this years one includes that ( with the risk seeming to go down ) ,I'll possibly decline .

I had my seasonal flu jag yesterday, and it was purely the seasonal one, didn't include any swine flu component. Had the separate swine flu one back in January. Very slight tenderness in my arm for a few hours afterwards, and felt a bit crappy but I'm just getting over a grotty cold so not unexpected.

I had my seasonal flu jag yesterday, and it was purely the seasonal one, didn't include any swine flu component. Had the separate swine flu one back in January.

How do you know it never had the swine flu bit in it as my doctors have said there isnt a way of seperating it this year and its all in one, I dont think i will be having it as i know a few people who had the swine flu one last year and they were quite bad from having it, mainly sick and couldnt even keep fluids down. This was the case in the 4 people that i knew had it.

I think that swine flu thing was a load of bol+~ks last year and now they are starting with it again on the news saying how bad its going to be again this year :no:

How do you know it never had the swine flu bit in it as my doctors have said there isnt a way of seperating it this year and its all in one, I dont think i will be having it as i know a few people who had the swine flu one last year and they were quite bad from having it, mainly sick and couldnt even keep fluids down. This was the case in the 4 people that i knew had it.

I think that swine flu thing was a load of bol+~ks last year and now they are starting with it again on the news saying how bad its going to be again this year :no:

I had the flue jab (containing swine flue) yesterday morning. As I sit here writing, I have to say that my arm is a little bit sore, but no more than when I have had flue jabs previously. Peoples reactions to flue jabs are very personal. Just because you know a few people who had a bad reaction last year does not mean you will get a bad reaction this year.

The flue jab is not meant to protect against all possible flue infections, only those that are thought to be most likely, and most dangerous over the coming winter. If you are unlucky you can still pick up a bad dose of a different flue virus. It is just not possible at present to protect against all flue strains in one jab.

just at mum and dads, and they got loads of free energy saving stuff from eon when they had theirs this week.

Was that from the jab ,or Age Concern -Eon do a(n Age Concern ) tariff specially for OAPs - AFAIK the rates are the same ,but you get credits to your account(s) of the temperature drops below zero .

see this - http://www.eon-uk.com/about/5673_5674.aspx

Was that from the jab ,or Age Concern -Eon do a(n Age Concern ) tariff specially for OAPs - AFAIK the rates are the same ,but you get credits to your account(s) of the temperature drops below zero .

see this - http://www.eon-uk.com/about/5673_5674.aspx

Nope, they were handing them out at the doctors where they live to the older folk for free. Didnt have to sign up for anything.

I have Type 2 Diabetes, so more prone to Swine Flu. Last winter I got a letter about it, then in February had my annual Flu jab in one arm then Swine Flu jab in the other, then 10 mins later had a Blood Test. :o (Have to have one twice a year).

The only side effects I had was 2 sore arms for about a week afterwards. If I can remember it was sore in my arm pits but not actually where the injections were done. :yes:

I have Type 2 Diabetes, so more prone to Swine Flu.

Likewise ,Jim- I usually get the flu jab , but wary of the swine flu one ,especially as it's supposed to be becoming less of a threat .