New vRS ordered

Just back from my dealers, Silbury Skoda in Cramlington, having ordered a new vRS TSi in Candy White; this will be my third vRS in a row having had a TFSI (06) and currently a CR (58).

The only options I've added are maxidot and space saver spare wheel.

Delivery expected for March time but I'm in no real rush. As soon as I take delivery I will be putting Koni FSDs and Eibach springs on and taking it for a Revo remap.

I'd set my mind on a new Golf GTi but could not justify the extra £8k but I am really happy to be going for another vRS. There is honestly nothing else that comes close in terms of all round capability.

Great choice, however i wouldn't bother with the fsd. I took mine off.

How come? Koni FSDs and Eibach pro springs are generally agreed to be the way forward for the Octy vRS.

do you mean full size spare wheel?

good choice

No space saver. You don't get a spare wheel as standard now, just a repair kit. On vRS models you can only order the space saver wheel.

ah i thought a space one was standard

i ordered a full size one and it was only about £80 option,might be worth changing?

You will not (cannot get) a full size spare as an option for the VRS. You'll get a 16" steel wheel with a tyre profile that makes it the equivalent size to the 18" wheel/tyre combination. You wont get an 18" alloy wheel as the spare. Therefore the spare is effectlvely the same size (rolling radius) as the rest of the wheels on the car. The 16" is still restricted in terms of max. vehicle speed.

Only way to get an 18" spare is to buy an 18" wheel/tyre yourself.

How come? Koni FSDs and Eibach pro springs are generally agreed to be the way forward for the Octy vRS.

Nope.

There are some on here who like them, and they there are many positive posting on this forum. I read these reviews and was 100% sure that these were going to be great... until I had forked out a bunch of cash and tried them myself. All suspension setups are a matter of compromise, and although the fsd's DO improve the low speed ride they lose out in other areas IMO specifically high speed dips or crests where they fail to react fast enough and give the driver an unnerving floaty feeling. This issue is exacerbated when the car is fully loaded. IMO the car is under-damped if you're fully loaded and drive fast down an undulating b road.

Add to that the fsd spring platforms are not in the right place (ride height on mine was not matched front to back, and higher than you'd get if you just had the eibachs on stock dampers) and the fact that lots of fsd's have failed, they really have to question whether these are worth the money?

There are several people on this forum who've had FSD and taken them off.

I'm currently running weitecs but still looking at other options. The eibach springs are great btw - lower than stock and progressive so they smooth out some of the smaller undulations. If I could wind the clock back (knowing what i know now) i'd be looking at eibachs with maybe some bilsteins, or kw steet comforts. Problem is finding quality feedback on how all these different setups perform..

HTH.

Ive got Eibach Pro dampers on my Octy with the matched springs, and SWMBO has FSD with Eibach Pro Springs on her Mk2 Leon, I got to say, the Leon is certainly less firm on the road, although I think it has lost some of its handling, which is wierd, the 2 cars have almost swapped ride now, the Octy is responsive but is now stiffer, TBH, the octy is just on the limit of acceptable comfort (IMO)

Edited by daz_pd

I notice you had a petrol vrs and changed to a diesel one and now you are going back to a petrol one. Just curious on your thoughts on both cars. I have a petrol vrs myself.