Wiper Motor

Front wiper motor seems to be giving up the ghost. What ever speed you select it takes at least 3sec to clear the screen. anyone had this problem before and was it the motor on it,s way out?

Hi Speedy

My son had a L&K with the same symptoms !

And the problem was the wiper spindles had sized up, so I stripped down the linkage and lubricated with grease and was fine after.

quite a easy job, remove wiper arms and then scuttle panels, and if I remember there is three bolts holding the whole linkage to the car, unplug the

plug from the motor and remove the whole assembly, and pop off the two ball joints from the spindle arms then remove the clips that hold the

spindles into the housing (don't loose or brake the clips) poss spray with WD40 and then work the spindle out by twisting the shaft from side to side.

When you have got them out grease up the spindles and refit, and make sure the clips go back correctly and reassemble and fit back to the car.

And it should last another few years !!

But if you are unlucky it might have been the motor, but at lease you have done the cheapest job first

Radiotwo

Hi Speedy

My son had a L&K with the same symptoms !

And the problem was the wiper spindles had sized up, so I stripped down the linkage and lubricated with grease and was fine after.

quite a easy job, remove wiper arms and then scuttle panels, and if I remember there is three bolts holding the whole linkage to the car, unplug the

plug from the motor and remove the whole assembly, and pop off the two ball joints from the spindle arms then remove the clips that hold the

spindles into the housing (don't loose or brake the clips) poss spray with WD40 and then work the spindle out by twisting the shaft from side to side.

When you have got them out grease up the spindles and refit, and make sure the clips go back correctly and reassemble and fit back to the car.

And it should last another few years !!

But if you are unlucky it might have been the motor, but at lease you have done the cheapest job first

Radiotwo

I have the same prob, in fact during winter my wipers would often not work until I'd been driving for about 10-20 minutes :(

I removed the motor/linkage mechanism last week and lubed it all up, but it's no better for it. When I split the motor housing apart a load of water came out of it, so I think it's just the motor that's gone.

Regardless, I've got another motor/linkage on the way from a breaker.

I have the same prob, in fact during winter my wipers would often not work until I'd been driving for about 10-20 minutes :(

I removed the motor/linkage mechanism last week and lubed it all up, but it's no better for it. When I split the motor housing apart a load of water came out of it, so I think it's just the motor that's gone.

Regardless, I've got another motor/linkage on the way from a breaker.

Taken the linkage off today, found one side sized tried for 1 hour to free with no joy. tried the wd40 route, so off to breakers.

If it won't go with WD40, try warming it up with a blow torch, It will go as its just crud that is holding it, then clean it and grease up and will be fine

Radiotwo

• 2 months later...

i have a 53 plate vrs and the wipers work some times and not others have removes the wiper arms and sprayed with wd40 bot when they do not work if you operate the switch and then move the arms the wipers eventually wipe is this the linkage . if so will remove also i am thinking it cannot be the sitch or motor couse it would just not work

cheers guys