MDI in glove box for MY 2011?

Just wonder if someone can confirm that the MDI interface is now placed in the glove box instead of the jumbo box (for MY 2011).

I personally find it more convenient in the jumbo box, although I have read that one of the changes in MY2011 is that the MDI is placed in the glove box, which I suspect will be the case when I get my SC by the end of the year.

Thanks in advance

Just wonder if someone can confirm that the MDI interface is now placed in the glove box instead of the jumbo box (for MY 2011).

I personally find it more convenient in the jumbo box, although I have read that one of the changes in MY2011 is that the MDI is placed in the glove box, which I suspect will be the case when I get my SC by the end of the year.

Thanks in advance

I'd also be interested to know now you have brought it up, but I'm hoping you are misinformed.

I know there is a dealer supply retrofit kit that installs to the glove box, but I specifically added factory fit MDI to my order to avoid that.

Topcat7, ecejmpe, ghunkin, AudiNoMore & Spaceaircon have all made recent additions to the owners register stating MDI as part of their spec. Maybe one of them would be able to advise.

Best regards

David

Edited by cookdn

what do you mean with jumbo box ?

From Skoda Auto - Octavia:

Jumbo Box

The Jumbo-Box between the front seats with an adjustable armrest can be cooled (if the car has air conditioning). The installed audio socket will enable you to make a journey more pleasant by listening to your favourite music. The back wall of the Jumbo Box may contain controls for heating the rear seats (optional accessory).

octavia_fl_comfort_3.jpg

I'm not sure that the term is completely applicable to the Superb but you get the idea.

Best regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

This could be interesting..

The latest released user manual for the Bolero sound system states:

The input for the external audio sources MDI is located under the

armrest of the front seats, in the storage compartment of the front

passenger side or in a storage compartment of the centre console

(according to vehicle model).

(first off, what's the difference between "armrest of the front seats" and "centre console"? I thought that was initially the same thing)

anyway.. then, the latest released user manual states:

The input MDI is located in the storage compartment on the front passenger side.

and again.. "storagecompartmentonthefrontpassengerside" = glove compartment? (a lot easier said)

my conclusion to the manuals tho' is that the MDI placement can vary.

Whats the retrofit like to fit? my car was already built without the Media connector, so I'd like to fit as I used USB pen drives with my previous car/head unit.

Whats the retrofit like to fit? my car was already built without the Media connector, so I'd like to fit as I used USB pen drives with my previous car/head unit.

I believe the retrofit kit installs to the glove box rather than the centre armrest so installation should be relatively straight foward. I can't imagine that the Columbus will need recoding, but that is a possibility. I think the difficulty is ordering it as some dealers are convinced that it doesn't exist . If somebody in the know can share the product codes you are over that problem.

Best regards

David

The accessory brochure lists a Denison Gatweay 100 kit for the Superb - link as follows:

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productsList.aspx?type=a&id=14&main=Music%20and%20Communication⊂=ipod%20Interface%20Leads

However it doesn't work with 2011 MY as my dealer has spent 3 days installing and failing to get it to work with the upgraded Columbus head unit.

Back to the drawing board until Denison upgrade thier product - unless someone else knows another option!

The accessory brochure lists a Denison Gatweay 100 kit for the Superb - link as follows:

http://www.accessories.skoda.co.uk/productsList.aspx?type=a&id=14&main=Music%20and%20Communication⊂=ipod%20Interface%20Leads

However it doesn't work with 2011 MY as my dealer has spent 3 days installing and failing to get it to work with the upgraded Columbus head unit.

Back to the drawing board until Denison upgrade thier product - unless someone else knows another option!

I'm not sure why they are messing around with a third-party kit, here is the VW OEM retrofit kit revealed by Google, p/n 5N0057342:

http://www.shop4volkswagen.co.uk/product/MEDIA_IN_5N0057342

More details on MyGti.com:

http://www.my-gti.com/688/volkswagen-media-device-interface-mdi-retrofit

VW installation document in German & English here:

http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/volkswagen_mdi_5N0057342.pdf

VAG-COM coding is required to enable the functionality (P17, S1.5). I'm no expert beyond what is available on the Internet so YMMV etc. Hope this helps.

Best regards

David

Edited by cookdn

If I got to take it to a dealer for programing, I don't think I'll bother. Think I'm going to buy a few SD cards instead.

Thanks for the info though, but I dont want the MDI in the glovebox as I can't reach it and it would cost a fortune.