Help vRS

sam_b

Hi,

I have a MK1 vRS, which I got remapped recently (The guy tells me it was Custom Code remap)

I have now been experiencing a strange problem.

If I go full throttle the car shudders and jerks crossing through 3000 RPM to 4000 rpm.

The engine shuts of sometimes as well .

I have had the fuel pump replaced twice.

My mechanic feels its the clutch, although the clutch feels fine and doesn't seem to slip.

The mechanic suspects the cat converter as well. He felt that that is choked, so got that replaced yesterday, but the problem is still there.

There was an EPC light sometime back, which was traced to a faulty sensor in the exhaust.

Anyone has any ideas regarding what it could be and does someone suspect that the Remap is a bad one?

There is a known issue with some Custom Code maps throwing the dreaded 17705 code. You need to check for fault codes as some will shut the engine down i.e. max manifold boost pressure exceeded, which causes the EPC light to come on & the throttle will stop responding until the engine is restarted. Never heard of a dying clutch to cause shut down.

It's worth cleaning the throttle body as this often causes jerky acceleration.

Edited by pauldazzle

There is a known issue with some Custom Code maps throwing the dreaded 17705 code. You need to check for fault codes as some will shut the engine down i.e. max manifold boost pressure exceeded, which causes the EPC light to come on & the throttle will stop responding until the engine is restarted. Never heard of a dying clutch to cause shut down.

It's worth cleaning the throttle body as this often causes jerky acceleration.

Thanks. Definitely sounds right.

Update to the problem, I just did a longish drive on the car (its my cousin's car), and the car definitely reacts like you said. Also I throttled up the car in neutral, and the engine first cut off at 6000 rpm and if i let off a bit and press the pedal again the engine crosses the redline and hits 7000 rpm + at the end of redline.

Also if I acclerate gradually then the problem at 3000 rpm does not occur.

Checked the Diagnostics.

Getting error code:

1) 17705

2) 17579 P1171 Angle sender 2 for throttle valve drive G188: implausible

3) 17972 P1564 Throttle SPoradic: Valve Control Part J-338 Insufficient Voltage during basic setting

4) 17967

5) 16684 P0300 Random Multiple Cylinder: Misfire detected

All cylinders are misfiring.

Any further suggestions after looking at the above.

2,3 and 4 are all related to your throttle body not adapting properly, or losing its basic settings. I've had that lead to a severe misfire at startup before. Assuming you've given it a good clean, It might be worth checking that the throttle body connector is dry and uncracked (inside and out) and clear of anything that might cause it to short out. Once you reconnect it, turn the key to position one and leave it there for 30 seconds or so and it'll attempt to do a basic setting. Given that I've had similar issues with most of those codes at the same time and still haven't solved it, I wonder if this is something ECU related and slightly more common than I thought.

As for 17705, take your pick. There are endless threads here related to that issue and it can be caused by just about everything :) Best to do a forum search and see if anything matches.

Edited by Interphase