Wireless network help please

Joel_vRS

first let me give you some back ground..... PC1 XP Home, connects directly to the net, and has a Dlink 802.11b PCI wireless network card,

Laptop 1 XP Pro, Connects to the net using PC1 as a gateway, and has a D Link 802.11b PCMIA card.....

Now both machines dont have a problem seeing or connecting to each other, for the first 5-10min then we lose the ability to load web pages in IE but msn messenger still works for servral mins... then that stops working... leave it alone and it all come back then goes etc etc ....

any ideas ??

Joel

There must be some kind of routing if IE can work, albeit briefly, on the laptop. If you can, beg/borrow/steal some other wireless adaptors. Had an SMC one in my parents PC that kept dropping the signal but worked fine in my computer. Borrowed a friends USB wireless dongle, attached it to parents PC and everything worked. Have now swapped card for dongle with friend :)

Real issue is that you are using the cards in AdHoc mode, whereas most of these things are designed to work in infrastructure mode. Windows is doing ICS in order for your network to work properly.

It would be more stable to buy a wireless ADSL router, turn off your PCI ADSL card, and do 'it' the usual manner, which is ADSL router -> line and then have the wireless cards/dongles (whichever you prefer) in your machines.

I've used NetGear, LinkSys, DLink so far, all were fine in that configuration :)

If the cards are set up to use Ad-Hoc method rather than Infrastructure or Access Point Preferred, there should be no problem as it's not continuously scanning for routers. I do agree that routers are the way forward, my desktop has been connected now for 24 days without losing connection.