Squeezing three child seats in…

Hi folks,

We recently bought a (nearly) new Octy Estate a few months back, and it’s been great to be able to take our two kids away whilst still having space in the cavernous boot for our own stuff (as well as the relief of being able to fit the pram in without having to dismantle it first ;) )

However, no sooner have we become settled with that, than my wife’s pregnant again!

I have to say we’ve never really considered having more than 2 before, but we’re getting our heads around it (slowly!). The main difficulty seems to be in the small impracticalities that we previously took for granted – a large part of that being transport!!!

We currently get 2 isofix seats in the back without a problem, but a third gives us a major headache if we want to go anywhere as a family.

I was wondering if anyone’s found a solution, other than buying a new car?! My OH tells me that a friend has some Swedish invention that fits across the rear seats and (somehow) is able to fit three in the back – I assume from somehow staggering the seats – but I can’t find anything on it over the internet.

Another thought was a Yeti (I’ve been meaning to get one when I replace my Leon in a year or so but didn’t think I’ve have this consideration!). I notice its 30cm wider than an Octavia and didn’t know if this would allow us to squeeze three childseats in the back (or maybe give enough space in the middle for my wife???)

Beyond this, I assume my only recourse is to buy a bloody great wagon like an S-Max (my preference if I have to go down this route), Honda F-CV etc etc??

Now I’m in this position I’m surprised it’s not considered more in normal sized cars – couldn’t they stick some isofix fittings in the boot of estates or something??

Found myself in exactly the same situation 4 years ago, and ended up selling my 6 month old Ocatvia vrs and getting a 7 seater. There was no way to fit 3 child seats, especially when 1 was a rear facing baby seat, across the back.

4 years on and I'm collecting a new Scout out this week as the eldest 2 are in booster seats and we can just fit 2 of those plus a small child seat in.

For you there is a solution that wasn't available 4 years ago www.multimac.co.uk . Expensive, but not as expensive as running a 7 seat LR Discovery for a few years - I know, I did it.

Expensive, but not as expensive as running a 7 seat LR Discovery for a few years - I know, I did it.

Things not as expensive as running a LR Discovery:

• Paying off the UK structural deficit
  • Finding the Higgs Boson
  • Getting divorced if you're Tiger Woods

;)