Turbo Timer

xa0sx

TDI engine turbos do not spin anywhere near as fast as their petrol counterparts, by the time you have unclipped the phone turned the stereo off and put away odds and sods so the chavs cant nick them the turbo would have long stopped spinning.

The only time i would make an effort to let the engine idle is at a motorway service station

Matt

Even at motorway services, by the time you have coasted from 70 down to car park speed and got into a parking space, the turbo will have calmed down. I just tend to take it easy in the final 30 seconds of my journey which is usually all taken up getting on the drive and reversing into my spot. :)

• 4 months later...

I just think it's pretty cool and often I sit outside my house for a minute or so letting it warm down when it would be nice to just leave it idling for a bit before shutting off. Realistically it isn't needed but it's another toy. :rofl:

Two minutes on youtube looking for turbo spool videos will show you how long they REALLY run on for (a matter of seconds). Plus, the fully-synth oil doesn't carbonise with the heat so apart perhaps from coming to a screeching halt at a motorway services (even that's pushing it!) you'd be better finding something else to spend your money on!

The next full tank of diesel at this rate... :wonder:

Simply not worth it. Even on motorway turbo is not boosting hard. Castle combe it will but I always spend the last lap warming down the engine and by the time we reach stand again brakes will be cool and turbo too. I would just stick to spending the last 60 seconds of any journey off boost and instant shutoff is fine when you arrive. :)