Trip computer problem

Dazdon

Hi all,

My battery died on Monday morning on the VRS so I swapped it with a heavy duty suitable replacement that day.

Anyway, since then when the car is started from cold the trip computer insists on resetting itself when the ignition is turned on to let the plugs warm up.

If the car has been run and is still relatively warm since its last journey the figure on the computer stay as the were.........

Any ideas?

I used to have a Clio 172 cup and this was the sign that the battery was on its way out but this one is brand new........well off the shelf :).

Cheers

Daz

The trip computer resets itself when it loses power. Are the battery terminals tight? It will reset itself automatically on memory 1 if the ignition is turned off for a few hours. If you were last viewing trip data, the item that was been viewed at the last ignition shut off will be shown when turning the ignition on.

Anyway, since then when the car is started from cold the trip computer insists on resetting itself when the ignition is turned on to let the plugs warm up.

If the car has been run and is still relatively warm since its last journey the figure on the computer stay as the were.........

Not entirely clear what you mean here. The computer is programmed to reset two hours after stopping the engine; hence it will have reset in the morning when you get in it, but if you stop at a garage or service station it will keep going unless you're over two hours.

Here's the manual entry:

Single-trip memory (memory 1)

The single-trip memory collates the driving information from the moment the ignition

is switched on until it is switched off. New data will also flow into the calculation

of the current driving information if the trip is continued within 2 hours after

switching off the ignition. The memory will be is automatically erased, on the other

hand, if the trip is interrupted for more than 2 hours

Total-trip memory (memory 2)

The total distance driven memory gathers data from any number of indvidual journeys

up to a total of 100 hours driving or 10 000 kilometres driven. The memory is

deleted when either of these limits is reached and the calculation starts from anew.

The total-trip memory will not, contrary to the single-trip memory, be deleted after

a period of interruption of driving of 2 hours.

Does this resolve your problem?

Edited by DRJ

Well whenever I have used the car previous to the new battery, doesnt matter how long the ignition has been turned off it always displayed the MPG, Miles to next fill up, miles done on that tank, average speed blah blah blah, Didn't matter if the ignition had been off 2 minutes or 48 hours, it never reset itself until I done it manually.

Is there 2 settings of which data I see on the dash because what is happening now sounds like the single trip memory that you explain but it has always been like the total trip memory previous to the battery change....

Cheers

Daz

Yes, there are two settings - setting 1 is the short term memory and setting 2 is the long term memory. You can switch between them by a quick press of the button on the underside of the wiper switch. On he MPG display you will see either a 1 or a 2 at the top right of the LCD display - this shows you which memeroy you are viewing. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

You Guys are good, I had the same issue after fitting a new battery, it had puzzled me for weeks before I decided to Google the fault and found this forum.

Five minutes later it is sorted.

I originally had a few odd central locking issues and although that cured itself after using a liberal application of WD40 the trip computer issue appeared at the same time so I imagined it would be a big job.

Many thanks

Phil

• 1 year later...

Now I've got a REAL trip computer problem.

I understand there are two memories on the trip computer:

#1 is the short-term one, which resets itself after a break of 2 hours (or when manually reset). This works fine - and always has.

#2 is the long-term one, which only resets when I hold the reset button under the stalk. I reset this every time I tank and compare it to my brim-to-brim calculations.

But in the last few weeks #2 has started to reset itself when I start the ignition - even if there has been less than a 2 hour break. I know this doesn't sound like a serious fault, but it seems very strange behaviour. Any ideas why?

Ooops! - just realised I posted this in the Fabia I forum. Mine is a Fabia II, if that makes any difference.

And I can't find a way to delete this post. So here is a link to my new thread on the Fabia II forum: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/257447-trip-counter-2-resets-itself/

Edited by Igloo Vindaloo