Buying octavia vrs - what to look for?

Hi,

I hope you dont mind me posting this question, but i'm sure you are the best guys (and gals) to help me.

I'm currently looking to purchase an Octavia vRS (diesel), most probably a 2007 model. Is there anything i should be looking out for? what are the faults or common problems (if any) to look out for or expect when purchasing one of these cars? and also is there anything to keep an eye on?

I currently own an Alfa 156 2.4 JTD and although this is a cracking car to drive and has done me well for the last 4 years, i'm looking for something a bit more reliable but with performance to match, which is why the vRS diesel jumps out at me. Am i making the right choice by looking for an octavia?

Any help or advice you may have is invaluable. Many thanks in advance,

Will

Hi,

I hope you dont mind me posting this question, but i'm sure you are the best guys (and gals) to help me.

I'm currently looking to purchase an Octavia vRS (diesel), most probably a 2007 model. Is there anything i should be looking out for? what are the faults or common problems (if any) to look out for or expect when purchasing one of these cars? and also is there anything to keep an eye on?

I currently own an Alfa 156 2.4 JTD and although this is a cracking car to drive and has done me well for the last 4 years, i'm looking for something a bit more reliable but with performance to match, which is why the vRS diesel jumps out at me. Am i making the right choice by looking for an octavia?

Any help or advice you may have is invaluable. Many thanks in advance,

Will

I'm looking for one too, so would be interested in any help.

Edited by Dslcr

If you're looking at a 2007 TDi model then it will be the PD as opposed to the later Common Rail unit which came in late 2008 if I remember correctly.

The PD's a pretty good engine, less refined than the CR, and delivers its peak torque and power low down.

The diesel particulate filters are prone to problems and often need to be forced to regenerate themselves. I've had this happen once on my CR in almost two years.

Unless you are doing mega miles I would seriously consider the TSI though as the economy is pretty impressive so there's not much in it in terms of cost effectiveness.

In terms of desireable options, I think the jumbo box, electric rear windows, dual zone climate, cruise control and 18" alloys were all standard by 2007 model year but make sure yours has them. Maxidot has always been an optional extra but make sure yours has it too.

If you're looking at a 2007 TDi model then it will be the PD as opposed to the later Common Rail unit which came in late 2008 if I remember correctly.

The PD's a pretty good engine, less refined than the CR, and delivers its peak torque and power low down.

The diesel particulate filters are prone to problems and often need to be forced to regenerate themselves. I've had this happen once on my CR in almost two years.

Unless you are doing mega miles I would seriously consider the TSI though as the economy is pretty impressive so there's not much in it in terms of cost effectiveness.

In terms of desireable options, I think the jumbo box, electric rear windows, dual zone climate, cruise control and 18" alloys were all standard by 2007 model year but make sure yours has them. Maxidot has always been an optional extra but make sure yours has it too.

thanks for the reply, i'll keep an eye out for the maxidot (thats the full screen dash display as opposed to half screen isnt it?)

In terms of mileage, i'm doing approx 110-150 miles per day, so ideally after a low mileage diesel.

thanks for the reply, i'll keep an eye out for the maxidot (thats the full screen dash display as opposed to half screen isnt it?)

In terms of mileage, i'm doing approx 110-150 miles per day, so ideally after a low mileage diesel.

I know of white CR 58 plate that will have circa 26k on it available from Silbury Skoda near Newcastle in or around March time, one careful owner ;)

I used to buy and sell cars for a living and truthfully the Skoda's have all the strengths and weaknesses of their VAG stablesmates (i.e. Golf, Leon etc) which share the same chassis and most major mechanical parts.

Trim faults are easy to spot, but expect a bit of seat bolster wear on an '07.

The PD's are rugged motors (its not for nothing that they are popular as taxis), but the odd example does give problems at low mileage. The main engine is very reliable, but check out the turbo operation, DMF and DPF (where fitted). If you are not experienced with cars then consider having a professional inspection - which should also show up e.g. crash damage or major repair work.

Check the aircon works OK, with no funny noises from the compressor. Also check out the electrical equipment for functionality.

-If it has ESP, check if the ABS unit has been done (there are plenty of threads regarding this) should be covered by any warranty you get with it.

-Rear washer pipe not come loose

-Seat airbag loom connector can cause high resistance (both sides I believe)