Superb or Octavia?

Hi all,

I have to change my actual Volvo V50 and I have a budget around 30K €.

I am evaluating these 3 cars:

1. Superb Estate 140hp (Ambition)

2. Octavia Estate 170hp (VRS or Elegance) + DSG

3. vw Passat SW

I usually drive between 4000 and 5000 Km per month, and I don't want to have a noisy car or something that does not run when it is needed (V50 is 136hp).

DSG or not is not a problem: 80% of my travel is on highway so, with Cruise Control, I have enough...

Which car would you suggest to me?

Thanks a lot.

Hi,

For driving the long distances I would recommend without any hesitation the Superb due to the far superior ride and comfort. The only reservation is that if you need to park in a congested city for example , the Octavia will fit into a smaller parking space.

Dont waste your money on a Passat!!!

Hi,

For driving the long distances I would recommend without any hesitation the Superb due to the far superior ride and comfort. The only reservation is that if you need to park in a congested city for example , the Octavia will fit into a smaller parking space.

Dont waste your money on a Passat!!!

As is now, I don't usually go into congested city, in Italy parking spaces are small for a Superb anyway.... :rofl:

I will search for a 140hp Superb Wagon to try....

hi and welcome.

The superb is very good car,i traded my 2005 Mercedes 320 cdi for mine best car i have ever owned.the park assist works perfect every time for those small gaps bill

For your money, you can easily afford a top spec Superb from new, and if you're comfortable with the outlay it is a far better buy than the Octavia, and better value-for-money than the Passat. Interior space for passengers and luggage is vast and easily surpasses that of the Volvo, with build quality, fit and finish worthy of the price tag, good standard kit and decent ride and handling.

The Octavia is a decent enough car, but the rear legroom is badly compromised for rear passengers, especially with tall front seat occupants. At the risk of being hung, drawn and quartered, the Mazda 6 is a better car, but at a higher price.

For your money, you can easily afford a top spec Superb from new...

Unfortunately I am obliged with Diesel engine, so I cannot go for the Elegance version with 30K €....

The Octavia is a decent enough car, but the rear legroom is badly compromised for rear passengers, especially with tall front seat occupants. At the risk of being hung, drawn and quartered, the Mazda 6 is a better car, but at a higher price.

Since I am not tall, Octavia (that I owned before the V50) is enough for me and my family ;-)

Interior space for passengers and luggage is vast and easily surpasses that of the Volvo,

Volvo is about 450 liters, Passat and Octavia about 660liters and Superb 663.... ;-) Next step is to go with a SCANIA ;-)

Anyway as now I feel compressed just 3-4 times a year, when I go on holiday, so Octavia or Superb are OK for my space...

The bigger problem I have is in trip comfort :D : I mean: Volvo is small, but comfort is really high: I can do 700Km in a day, then have couple of meetings and not being tired....

M

Can you get the 170CR in the Octavia Elegance? It's not an engine option in the UK for the Elegance spec on the Octavia...

No, you're rigth. No 170 hp for the Elegance.... only on the VRS :giggle:

M

I have just bought a Superb 2 170 Elegance Demo , 4 months old for 30k euro. I had a Superb Greenline prior and a Octavia VRS prior to that and can i just say the 170 Elegance is by far the better car , my sister has a 08BMW5 series my Superb beats the crap out of it in every way. My advice is defo go for the 170 engine massive power and torque.Remember the badge means pants all go on de skodas lol

I came to a Superb from a 2007 Volvo S40, in which I covered 100,000 miles in two and a bit years. I have covered 21000 miles so far in the Superb.

The Superb, obviously, is hugely more spacious than the Volvo. However, having driven many cars - we also have a Jaguar XF at the moment - nothing is a comfortable as a Volvo for covering long distances - their seats are excellent. As are the audio systems - neither than standard or upgraded Skoda audio sounds as good as the Volvo did - I would imagine this would apply to the Octavia too?

The Superb (on 18's anyway) doesn't ride as well as the Volvo either - the suspension crashes over bumps and potholes more, and the interior does rattle. Currently my glovebox lid, hatch, rear armrest and passenger door trim are all rattling away and will be looked at by the dealer imminently.

Despite it's size the Skoda is pretty decent to drive and most of the engines in the Superb are plenty fast enough. The 140CR diesel is far superior to the Volvo/Ford 136 bhp diesel in terms of refinement and about the same for outright pace I would say.

Hi all,

I have to change my actual Volvo V50 and I have a budget around 30K €.

I am evaluating these 3 cars:

1. Superb Estate 140hp (Ambition)

2. Octavia Estate 170hp (VRS or Elegance) + DSG

3. vw Passat SW

I usually drive between 4000 and 5000 Km per month, and I don't want to have a noisy car or something that does not run when it is needed (V50 is 136hp).

DSG or not is not a problem: 80% of my travel is on highway so, with Cruise Control, I have enough...

Which car would you suggest to me?

Thanks a lot.

Given your mileage and preference I'd say you're looking for a cruiser so that would rule out the Octavia over the other two. I have both an Octavia and Passat estates and whilst the Octavia is a great car, it's not in the same class for ride comfort when it comes to cruising. I'll leave you to decide between the Superb and the Passat.

I came to a Superb from a 2007 Volvo S40, in which I covered 100,000 miles in two and a bit years. I have covered 21000 miles so far in the Superb.

The Superb, obviously, is hugely more spacious than the Volvo. However, having driven many cars - we also have a Jaguar XF at the moment - nothing is a comfortable as a Volvo for covering long distances - their seats are excellent. As are the audio systems - neither than standard or upgraded Skoda audio sounds as good as the Volvo did - I would imagine this would apply to the Octavia too?

The Superb (on 18's anyway) doesn't ride as well as the Volvo either - the suspension crashes over bumps and potholes more, and the interior does rattle. Currently my glovebox lid, hatch, rear armrest and passenger door trim are all rattling away and will be looked at by the dealer imminently.

Despite it's size the Skoda is pretty decent to drive and most of the engines in the Superb are plenty fast enough. The 140CR diesel is far superior to the Volvo/Ford 136 bhp diesel in terms of refinement and about the same for outright pace I would say.

I have had my Superb for 12 months now, and I am very satisfied with it.

I agree that the Volvo seats look more luxurious, but looking more luxurious doesn't mean that they are more comfortable or give more support. My experience is that they give no more support than the Superb seats and I have been very satisfied with them. I have frequently driven over 350 miles with only one stop and got out of the car without feeling stiff, and I am an oldie with rheumatism and sciatica.

Yes, the Volvo sound system is a bit better, but you can never achieve real HiFi in a car and the system seems more than adequate to me unless you really need the base frequencies to do your ears in and guarantee you go deaf in old age.

If my experience of the Superb and a friend's V50 is anything to go by, I prefer the ride in the Superb. Mine is on 18 inch wheels and does not crash over bumps and pot holes. The ride is firm but well controlled and comfortable. The bumps and pot holes are well rounded off and do not make excessive noise.

At 12 months old, my car is still completely rattle free. I lie, on occasion a very slight and intermittant clicking noise can be heard. When I investigated, it turned out to be coming from the front passenger seat belt buckle. The metal tongue of the buckle when it was fastened, was moving very slightly in its housing, causing a very faint and occasional clicking noise. But if I can hear that, it suggests that the car is very quiet.

I have an Octavia, and find it noisy compared to the E39 BMW 5 series I had before. I have been in a Superb taxi, and it was much quieter.

I changed from Octavia to Superb2, the Superb is very quiet compared to my Octavia which with the same engine was quiet a bit noisier. Rattle wise, I have none and driving along the car is almost silent and the ultra smooth gear changes from the DSG box give the car a luxurious feel inside. The seats really are good and quiet supportive, and I regularly drive long distances without any discomfort. The longest run I have done is from Hertfordshire to Malaga in Spain via Calais, Bordeaux and Madrid. Even after driving the 1.5K miles each way spending more than 8hrs driving each day I felt comfortable and had no back pain or anything.

I went to a skoda dealer and had a speach with him: I defenitely go for a Superb.

Actual budget is for a Ambition version with 140hp (17" wheels) The only optional I will add will probably be bluetooth (or Bolero sound system).

Since the car will be a company car, I cannot buy an external sound system :(

Order will be probably done in December or january.

Mario, I have a Superb Estate and my other half has a Volvo V50.

I like both cars very much. I have the 170 bhp Superb and she has the 2.0D which I think is 140 bhp. Both cars go very well, although my Superb does have a much smoother diesel engine. The V50 is more agile and easier to throw around bends etc, but overall the Superb is the better ride.

As for the seats, they are totally different, the best way I can describe it is that you sit in the Volvo seats, and you sit on the superb seats. The superb seats are very firm, but I also find them very comfortable. The superb also feels more modern and up to date.

I also had a passat for three years and we had an Octavia for several months, an 09 facelift elegance version.

The Passat was a great car, however I chose my Superb over another one ( far better equipped ), and having done almost 20,000 miles in my Superb I would make the same choice again.

The Octavia was a nice car, but did suffer from excessive noise compared to the other three cars I have mentioned and was far smaller inside than the Superb.

I think that you have made the right choice and you will not be disappointed. :yes: :thumbup: