superb tdi 140

skodanut

Hi...as you know from previous threads, i have an oil pump issue, and i have taken the opportunity to enquire which oil pump is actually fitted to my car. The engine code is BSS and the registration year is 56 and it is the facelift version...probably one of the 1st ones out.

Now my question is, and it is a bit confusing, the etka printout of the oil pump is shown as two items. The engine code BSS is on the copy of both the print outs, and shows one oil pump with a chain drive...and the other with a gear driven oil pump....and my question is, how can i check to find out for definite, what actual oil pump my superb has? I have obtained the information from a reputable skoda dealer in winchester, who says my engine is fitted with the chain drive oil pump according to the etka information...and to make it more confusing, TPS in portsmouth say by their etka printout with the same BSS engine code,say that it is the gear driven oil pump !!....both dealers had the same chasis number.

And i am just wondering if it is at all possible, that my particular engine actually has the chain drive? as i have read on he internet regarding the oil pump issues, that the chain drive was replaced with the gear driven oil pump !! . If that is the case,and remember my car was out of warranty by 6mths when the oil pump failed at 38k miles, that i am entitled to have the later oil pump fitted? as VW passats were i would say, quietly recalled to rectify the problem...although the owners didnt know that the new pump would fail again later in its life. Any help on information out there? Who is more accurate? the main dealer or TPS?

The reason i am asking, is that if by some unfortunate bad luck my engine actually has the chain drive oil pump set up, then i feel it should have been recalled to be up graded so speak...and although i told suk that i would look elsewhere for prices for car to be rectified, i hate to have been fobbed off by them possibly knowing that they knew all along which oil pump i actually have...hence the very low goodwill offered for being a good customer and zilt goodwill for the actual engine. Makes me wonder why they didnt offer me anything at all for the engine...after all, VW supplied it !! So to hear from the man from suk, say to me no goodwill for the engine sounds to me that even he doesnt have any confidence in it either. Any advice glady received :thumbup: cheers

Your engine will have a gear drive to the oil pump. Read some of my earlier posts and get a diagram of a balancer engine for a full explanation.

Very briefly, any 4 cyl Lanchester balancer engine has two weighted shafts contra rotating at twice crank speed. The earliest 2.0 PDs (BHW) had a chain drive to these shafts - disaster in all cases. Later engines, including all 2.0 PD units fitted to the Superb have a geared drive. The gear drive in itself gives little trouble.

But - we are dealing with VAG.

In a masterstroke, they designed the coupling which drives the oil pump from the slave balancer shaft with inadequate engagement - so the hexagonal hole in the shaft rounds off and the oil pump stops. Neat.

Your engine will almost certainly have a perfectly good geared drive to the shafts and a stripped hex coupling to the pump - which is why it's wrecked.

Find an independent who understands the problem - the gear pre-loading and the phasing of the shafts is critical when it's reassembled. VAG know all about this and don't give a damn.

rotodiesel.

Thanks for that info roto....but why wud both diagrams show different pump arrangements , yet have the same engine code on them? thats is whats bothering me to be honest