Just collected our Superb Estate 1.6 CR

Strange, I would have expected a bigger engine to run quieter and smoother because unless you're heavy with the throttle the engine is less stressed and therefore should be quieter because it is not workinging as hard as a smaller one would be. The Superb is heavy car and the estate is heavier and would benefit from the increased torque that bigger engines provide, the downside of torque on icey and snowy roads is applying that power to the road without getting wheel spin and in this case perhaps a smaller engine is useful?

I think maybe it works two ways; people that choose a smaller engine will generally not be pushing the engine that much as most will be more timid drivers. On the other hand people that choose big engines will generaly be more active with the throttle, thus producing more noise/vibrations. You choose a big engine because you want and will use more power right? Otherwise you would have bought a smaller engine in the first place.

Your right about the torque on icy roads Specman, too much and and a little heavy on the revs will get you nowhere.

For those who are pondering the engine question:

Close your eyes, relax and think for a minute and imagine yourself driving a new skoda:

Be honest to yourself for once.., you know, deep in your heart what kind of engine is the right kind for you... ;)

I drove up the E6 a few years ago when I drove to Nordkapp! I stayed in Bodo and Narvik which aren't too far from you.

You live in a very beautiful part of the world.!!

Thanks Allams Skoda, but now in wintertime, we're only preoccupied with one thing: keeping our feet warm :D

Did you drive all the way up from Surrey???

Edited by Doc Watchtower

Yes I drove all the way, and it was rather cold when I was there too. I went in Feb '07!

DSC00083.jpg?t=1290534305

Blimey! In February? That is really midwinter here up in the north. According to the picture you had some "good shoes" on your feet though? 4x4? Did you use studded tires?

The Grand Cherokee had a reasonable four wheel drive system with limited slip diff on the rear, I had normal all terrain tyres, no studded. Only got stuck once when the stupid satnav took me down a disused military training ground and got it stuck in track. Some helpful man with a tractor pulled me out.

Was probably the best roadtrip I've ever done. Some more photos to remind me of the trip!

cool.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00044.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSCN0752.jpg

Seems to me you drove on roads most Norwegians would not dare to drive on in wintertime :rofl:

Seen any of these on the way? Shows the length the norwegian bulldozers are prepared to go to keep the roads clean.

2427956853_4dac615f53_b.jpg

p>

Edited by Doc Watchtower

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bumpetybumpeting this thread with an update.

After a mere 1000 kilometers I can still find nothing wrong with the 1.6 CR engine. It is quiet as a mouse when cruising and the car is extremely well balanced and on some longer distances it uses only about 55-60 mpg, or about 19-20 kilometers per litre while continiously using the airco and intermittently, the auxhillary heater system, and driving on spiked/studded tires on snowy and Icy roads. Numbers that will be even more appealing when we get rid of these sub-zero temperatures over here. (-10¤C to -15¤C.)

Edited by Doc Watchtower

The drive was over partly snow and ice-covered mountainroads and our first impression, compared with the sedan, was "silky smooth". The estate seemed to tackle bumpy roads much smoother than our limoversion.

I wonder if the tyre size was the same on both cars? Did you have 205/55 R16 on your Superb Estate? I also think that the fact that the new estate was more loaded with stuff (esp. in the boot) made that impression of smoothness.

By the way we in Russia envy the engine choice variety in Europe for Superb Combi. Here we have only one officially imported model of Combi: 2.0 TSI. On the other hand the price is more friendly than in Norway: fully packed Combi (almost all ticks including navigation, sunroof, park assistant, electic boot etc.) costs 29,000 pounds all taxes included.

Though I guess in UK you don't have this engine.

Edited by Maxxus

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just collected my Superb Estate 1.6 CR TDI manual. The engine displacement may sound small, but it has sufficient muscle to propel the car effortlessly. Average fuel consumption is 19-20km/l.

During the first 1000km, do you often rev the car to around 3,000-3,500 rpm to run in the engine?

• 2 weeks later...

I am debating buying the 1.6 CR also :think:

Some comments in this external thread give me cause for concern about by the engine size especially when the Superb is fully loaded with kids, dog and lugagge.......

Your comments re driving experience are helpful though. Keep 'em coming - I'm nearly convinced :yes:

I am debating buying the 1.6 CR also :think:

Some comments in this external thread give me cause for concern about by the engine size especially when the Superb is fully loaded with kids, dog and lugagge.......

Your comments re driving experience are helpful though. Keep 'em coming - I'm nearly convinced :yes:

I have 2 kids, no dogs, no luggages but loads of kiddy stuff to be carried around on my daily commute. The 1.6 CR is a capable engine for that matter. What is the speed limit in Ireland?

The car cruises effortless at 1,800 rpm in 5th gear at 100km/h.

I have 2 kids, no dogs, no luggages but loads of kiddy stuff to be carried around on my daily commute. The 1.6 CR is a capable engine for that matter. What is the speed limit in Ireland?

The car cruises effortless at 1,800 rpm in 5th gear at 100km/h.

Thanks for your reply.

Speed limit on motorways is 120km/h. National routes 100 km/h.

How do you find her for overtaking - say if you need to in a hurry?

Thanks for your reply.

Speed limit on motorways is 120km/h. National routes 100 km/h.

How do you find her for overtaking - say if you need to in a hurry?

Based on Singapore's driving conditions & speed limits, the car overtakes rather effortlessly, even on highways. The key is to maintain the engine rpm between 1,500 to 2,500 rpm where the max torque is available. I have not tried 120km/h before, but I reckon the engine rpm will be <2,500 rpm in 5th gear.

You may want to check with other 1.6 CR owners on the overtaking ability of the car at higher speeds.

I have tried and failed to get a test drive in the Superb Greenline II. However, I've got an Octavia Greenline with the same engine next week. I will report back on whether milk floats are easy meat or whether mobility scooters leave me for dead at the lights.

Steve

I have tried and failed to get a test drive in the Superb Greenline II. However, I've got an Octavia Greenline with the same engine next week. I will report back on whether milk floats are easy meat or whether mobility scooters leave me for dead at the lights.

Steve

My dealer did not have a Superb Greenline Combi available for test either - he said he'd have Greenline saloon in about 3 weeks.

Looking forward to hearing about your test experience