octy 2.0 tdi - correct tyre size/rating etc

hi guys,

For an 09 diesel estate, what is the correct tyre? I've looked in the manual but can't find any info.

It's currently got 205/55/r16/91v. is this the only tyre I should be fitting?

thanks again,

Stu

hi guys,

For an 09 diesel estate, what is the correct tyre? I've looked in the manual but can't find any info.

It's currently got 205/55/r16/91v. is this the only tyre I should be fitting?

thanks again,

Stu

Thats whats on mine, out of interest why are you asking ? Are you looking at different load ratings, sizes or lower speed ratings for winter tyres ?

I ordered a set of winter tyres today (after consulting my insurance) they are 205/55/R16 91T (insurance said lower speed rating won't affect policy).

Load Index is interesting -- on the VIN plate for our car, a Mk1 PD130, the maximum (legal) axle weights are both 1000 kg. That means the load each tyre must support is 500 kg to meet the C&U regulations, so the minimum Load Index must be 84. I've read in a few places that manufacturers tend to allow 10% extra per tyres, (which would be 550 kg for our car), so the Load Index value would then be 88. However all tyres in the sizes I'm interested in, (205/55R16 and 195/65R15) have a normal Load Index of 91.

When ordering my winter tyres, I ended up going for a lower speed rating rather than a higher load rating, hence 205/55/16 91T for my 2.0PD140.

I had great discussions with my insurance company about cover and winter tyres....... They basically said as long as I used the correct load rating for the

car that a lower speed rating would be ok provided it wasn't exceeded !

Doesn't see me exceeding 118mph in the next few months..... ;-)

apart from being rated for a higher speed, and being more pricey, are higher speed rated tyres more noisy?

[going for some quatracs this time]

Edited by stuartm

I was told that fitting a higher than standard load index tyre is not a problem, it's when tyres are used that have a lower load index than those required by the car manaufacturer that problems with insurance can arise.