engine temperature

ju3

Hello.

I'm experiencing some things with Yeti which I have not experienced with any previous cars.

Firstly it takes long time for oil temperature gauge to start moving from zero. After 10 minutes of driving the snow/ice on bonnet would start to melt away. That would indicate to me that engine is warm,But the gauge would still stay on zero. It take aditional 10 min. for temperature gauge to start moving upwards from zero. Then it would come to optimal temperature rather fast.

Its strange that bonnet is warm but the oil temp. gauge is on zero.

Another thing is when I stop and leave car on idle ,after 3-4 min. oil temperature would start to drop. And it would drop for one quarter on gauge. When I start to drive it would come back to normal after short time.

Are these things normal? Is anyone experienced this?

Mine is 1.2 tsi and I have heater placed on 2 ,with temperature knob on 26c. No aircon on.

I have never experienced drop of temperature when on idle on any previous cars. Nor it took so long time for petrol engine to heat up.

Edited by ju3

Oil always takes longer to warm and cool as it's more viscous than water, the oil temperature will always lag behind the engine temperature when warming up.

When the heater is working hard it is fair to assume it will remove more heat from the coolant than the engine can add when idling. Its only a little tiddly 1.2 at the end of the day and relatively efficient for a petrol so less heat is being wasted via the coolant. As long as the temperature is stable when driving you have nothing to worry about.

Hello.

I'm experiencing some things with Yeti which I have not experienced with any previous cars.

Firstly it takes long time for oil temperature gauge to start moving from zero. After 10 minutes of driving the snow/ice on bonnet would start to melt away. That would indicate to me that engine is warm,But the gauge would still stay on zero. It take aditional 10 min. for temperature gauge to start moving upwards from zero. Then it would come to optimal temperature rather fast.

Its strange that bonnet is warm but the oil temp. gauge is on zero.

Manual says the following:

"If the oil temperature is lower than 50°C or if a fault in the system for checking the oil temperature

is present, three lines are displayed instead of the oil temperature."

Edited by Asterion

its ok while driving.Its keeping the temperature when using the engine.

I can add that its really cold here on Oslo in past few day. Now is around -10c.

On friday I also had drop of temp. on idle , it was -12c.

Anyway its strange to me cause I never experienced this on my previous cars. And I also drove them when it was -25c outside.

Had one Mitsubishi some time ago with 1.3l engine and also there no drop of temp on idle.

Anyway thanks for the reply!

its ok while driving.Its keeping the temperature when using the engine.

I can add that its really cold here on Oslo in past few day. Now is around -10c.

Coldness is relative B) ...we have here now -22 C and it is going to be even colder tomorrow. Let's see if the little engine can then deliver any warm air in the cabin... :o

When your heater is running it is the same as having cold air firing through the radiator while the stat is open.

The 1.2TSI is much more efficient than older petrol cars because it converts much more of the energy from fuel into mechanical energy rather than heat energy (which is classed as waste), it suffers from the same problem as a modern diesel.

Manual says the following:

"If the oil temperature is lower than 50°C or if a fault in the system for checking the oil temperature

is present, three lines are displayed instead of the oil temperature."

I guess this goes for cars with Maxi-dot.

Aint got one.

Let me ask other owners of 1.2

How long you have to drive for temperature gauge to start moving from zero ?

And how long does it take to come to optimal temperature ?

How long time ,not how many miles,kms etc...