Snow socks, anyone use them?

Just curious if anyone has experience of Autosocks on their Superb...?

I've just ordered a pair to see me through any tricky areas this winter. I could have gone for winter tyres, but as I've not yet got my Superb, I didn't want to waste money on winter tyres as they're a different size on my Saab 93. The Autosocks I've got cover both the 215 45 17 on my 93 and the 225 40 18, so I can use them "pre" and "post" delivery of the Superb if the weather dictates

I'm aware that they're not good for using over any distance, but I'm happy that they could be enough to get me out of a slippery spot. I've not had a chance to use them as yet, but they're staying in the boot just in case the snow returns.

So, anyone used them (or similar)...?

I have used them on my superb combi, and find that they work very well, according to the autosocks website, they can be driven for up to 50km on dry tarmac, before they begin to break up, so you can complete a fair distance of a journey, going from ice / snow to dry roads and back again, and they are washable and re-useable, making them in my opinion, quite a good thing to have in the car.

My set cost me £64, in the UK, compared to approx €700, for a set of 16" steel wheels and 4 winter tyres, in rep of ireland, I might hold off on purchasing these until next summer, when prices may come down.

Mine turned up the post yesterday - same time as the rain - doh!

I guess their delivery was delayed by the snow, despite being ordered 3 weeks ago!

Now need snow :giggle:

They worked well on my Octavia estate, but the day after I used them I got a spare set of wheels and winter tyres! Why?

In Central Scotland, I drive over snow and ice covered roads which are effectively single track in this weather due to snow drifts and people parking their cars on the road because their drives are unusable, then straight onto the motorway. It's impossible to find somewhere safe to pull over and fit/remove them. On top of that they are not suitable for driving on the motorway in the slush, as they soon shred. I saw a BMW 3 series limping along the M9 the other night, with shredded snow socks flapping around it's tyres. When you fit/remove them, you get freezing hands and covered in dirty slush, which wasn't great. On top of that, a section of the M9 was closed on my way home from work, so I was directed off along snow covered country lanes. No way I could stop and hold up all the other traffic while I fitted the socks :(

So, for convenience and the extra safety of knowing they are always there, I went for winter tyres.

I can echo Pixor. I bought mine and they got me out of a jam on a hill where i had no traction - enough to get me home but I was thinking the same things about pulling over etc to put on and take off all the time. I opted to go down the winter tyre route and had these fitted to my alloys and I'll sotre the others until March/April. Much more confident now driving around - think I'll ebay my used once snowsocks.