themostat

hi got a superb2.0 elegance 56 plate i need to change the thermostat do i have to drain the coolant or is it as easy as undo the 2 bolts put it in and tighten it up !!

From Elsawin:

Removing and installing coolant regulator

Special tools and workshop equipment required

Catch pan

Torque wrench

Pliers for spring strap clamps

Removing

NoteAlways replace seals and gasket rings.

– Drain coolant

– Detach coolant hoses from connection fitting.

– Unscrew the fixing bolts of the connection fittings and remove connection fitting with coolant regulator

– Turn coolant thermostat 1/4 turn (90°) to the left and remove from connection fittings

Install

Installation is performed in the reverse order, pay attention to the following points:

– Moisten new O-ring with coolant.

– Fit coolant regulator in the connection fitting and turn 1/4 turn. (90°) to the right.

– Insert connection fitting together with coolant thermostat into the engine block.

– Tighten fixing screws - Tightening torque: 15 Nm.

– Top up coolant

Done! :thumbup:

Remove alternator for access, isolate live cable.

Let the coolant drain itself - the drain tap is inaccessible without pulling the front and there's no point in draining more than you need to.

Water elbow is very fragile - handle with care and use a torque wrench to reassemble.

Use OE thermostat only as pattern parts don't fit the lugs inside the elbow. Lubricate the "O" ring with neat G12.

With thermostat out, put your finger in the hole and check the plastic water pump impeller is not loose on its shaft.

Vent cooling system at heater matrix connector on bulkhead. Elevate reservoir if necessary. Use 50/50 G12 + deionised water.

Are you absolutely sure you need to do this? A low dashboard temperature reading is nearly always the coolant temperature sender. VAG thermostats are generally reliable - but the senders are not.

rotodiesel.

Remove alternator for access, isolate live cable.

Let the coolant drain itself - the drain tap is inaccessible without pulling the front and there's no point in draining more than you need to.

Water elbow is very fragile - handle with care and use a torque wrench to reassemble.

Use OE thermostat only as pattern parts don't fit the lugs inside the elbow. Lubricate the "O" ring with neat G12.

With thermostat out, put your finger in the hole and check the plastic water pump impeller is not loose on its shaft.

Vent cooling system at heater matrix connector on bulkhead. Elevate reservoir if necessary. Use 50/50 G12 + deionised water.

Are you absolutely sure you need to do this? A low dashboard temperature reading is nearly always the coolant temperature sender. VAG thermostats are generally reliable - but the senders are not.

rotodiesel.

At the back of the cylinder head near the water outlet. Why not do a few tests to see what the problem is before you pull it apart?

rotodiesel.

ok like wot mate me temp seems to read 50 all the time i dont seam to have much heat i put it on 80 and it is not very hot the engine does not seem very hot either i was told it sound like the thermostat something to do with open or being closed but hey i open to suggestions mate