abs unit update

just a quick one for anyone who's waiting for their abs unit to fail VAG have released a repair kit for the abs unit at £129+vat....................but theres a catch, they wont be on sale until the current stock of complete units has been sold probably looking at early next year before they are available to order

just a quick one for anyone who's waiting for their abs unit to fail VAG have released a repair kit for the abs unit at £129+vat....................but theres a catch, they wont be on sale until the current stock of complete units has been sold probably looking at early next year before they are available to order

Good info thanks :thumbup:

Be interesting to see it.

The G201 pressure sensor (which is what fails) is inside the ABS unit and part of the circuit board. So any repair kit would involve stripping the unit (unless it is mounted outside the unit - as some of the unit repairers do). Either way, the new sensor will need calibrating. Not a straightforward reapair for a lot of DIY owners, although once the independents get geared up it should reduce the cost of their repairs quite a bit.

Would the repair kit at £129 exc vat plus labour to repair it work out better than the £350 for your unit to be recon'd?

Good news for those that are worried or havent had theirs go yet, but still seems like another money maker for Skoda and too little too late to me.

I can imagine the SUK boardroom meeting on this.

'Hey you know those duff ABS units? Well OTHER companies are offering repairs saving people from buying them from us!!'

'Hell, we'd better get a piece of that action with our own kit'

'What about the bulk supply of new units we got at a fraction we charge for them?'

'Oh, wait till they're all sold of course!'

'OF COURSE'

Bitter? perhaps :D

Edited by Rhoobarb

Would the repair kit at £129 exc vat plus labour to repair it work out better than the £350 for your unit to be recon'd?

Since most main dealers want £100 to bolt up a battery terminal these days I would think if its a main dealer job it'll cost more than the recon. Obviously if you are a good DIY'er then probably a cheaper option. Maybe will also bring down the cost of recon'd units??

OK, I made some inquiries. This part is actually the hydraulic valve block (the shiny bit underneath the black motor housing) and contains the G201 sensor. So it is indeed a solution to the problem. Price is not bad at all, considering what you get for the money.

To replace does not look too difficult. I have looked on the German forum, where owners have already do this job, and it appears fairly straightforward. The only difficult bit is that you need to run the ABS motor after re-installing the unit (to bleed it out). Easy enough if you have diagnostic kit, but a bit of deal-breaker if you don't (because the car is obviously undrivable until this is done).

Should make ABS/ESP repair a fairly straightforward job for the competent VAG independent and at a stroke remove the 'financial hand-grenade' from the affected models!

OK, I made some inquiries. This part is actually the hydraulic valve block (the shiny bit underneath the black motor housing) and contains the G201 sensor. So it is indeed a solution to the problem. Price is not bad at all, considering what you get for the money.

To replace does not look too difficult. I have looked on the German forum, where owners have already do this job, and it appears fairly straightforward. The only difficult bit is that you need to run the ABS motor after re-installing the unit (to bleed it out). Easy enough if you have diagnostic kit, but a bit of deal-breaker if you don't (because the car is obviously undrivable until this is done).

Should make ABS/ESP repair a fairly straightforward job for the competent VAG independent and at a stroke remove the 'financial hand-grenade' from the affected models!

:thumbup: this is actually brilliant news then, and about time VAG sorted this problem!!

we can all rest easier in our beds now :giggle:

Doesnt this all depend on them selling the replacements first? In theory if too many peeps learn there is a cheaper alternative and wait, it could be a long time coming.

These appear to have been available in Germany for at least a couple of months and are popping up on German eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.de/Reparatursatz-ABS-ESP-VW-Caddy-Golf-Seat-Skoda-G201-/140483859570?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item20b57d9472

If necessary order one from Germany..