Failure of electric front windows

Scottie

Roomie 07 plate, 1.9 diesel.

Failure of both front windows. All window switches dead. Fuses ok. Not iced up. Worked once since failure by opening and closing passenger front door but even that trick has stopped working.

Anybody with similar problem or solution?

Thanks

Scottie

• 2 weeks later...

Roomie 07 plate, 1.9 diesel.

Failure of both front windows. All window switches dead. Fuses ok. Not iced up. Worked once since failure by opening and closing passenger front door but even that trick has stopped working.

Anybody with similar problem or solution?

Thanks

Scottie

Hi Mine packed up last year and 2 months after warranty expired, it was the control unit that failed and my Skoda service dealer managed to get a deal with Skoda Uk who paid for 70% of cost.

Andy d

Hi Mine packed up last year and 2 months after warranty expired, it was the control unit that failed and my Skoda service dealer managed to get a deal with Skoda Uk who paid for 70% of cost.

Andy d

Thanks Andy

This is a possibility. It seems that when weather is v cold, i.e. under -5C they stop working BUT when temp rises to above zero all is back to normal. Either there is some anti ice device fitted that is not mentioned in the handbook OR the control unit is erratic.

Problem is I DO NOT trust the abilities of my dealer to dignose.............sad but true.

Best regards

Scottie

Got exactly the same problem on mine at the moment - very embarrassing when you only discover the fault when you are at the drive thru booth at the filling station and have to reverse out !!

No time to check anything other than fuses as I'm due offshore for three weeks - hopefully the weather will improve (i.e. temps rise above freezing) and we'll see whether the system resets itself as suggested.

Interestingly my wifes Roomster windows are still operating - strange or what ?

• 2 weeks later...

My passenger window is sticky, the window gets about 3/4 of way up then opens again as if the obstruction torque has been exceeded. The dealer 'lubricated it' which worked for about 1 week before problem returned. I think I'll ask for the controller to be replaced before the warranty runs out.

Edited by AndyM0000

Andy, think you've got something different amiss with your windows. You've got power to yours so they move some degree or other. Sounds like a mechanical problem - door frame bent or some foreign body stuck in the guides ? Did the dealer lube the window frame or the actual motor and gearbox itself ? Could the motor be getting weak (through damp and corrosion) and not now have enough torque to drive the glass right to the top? Will it go fully up if you give it a helping hand ?

Can anybody confirm exactly where the control unit is for the front windows ?

Having read every thread on faulty electric windows on Skoda's Ive got meself confused - either there are control units on each front window motor or there is one unit under the dash somewhere. I'm looking for the Convenience Control Unit apparently.

Doesn't help when my workshop manual (electronic copy via the dreaded bay of E) has stopped working again. Does anybody have any recommendations for a w/s manual that will work for longer than a month without needing to be completely uninstalled and then loaded again ? Didn't bring the discs offshore this trip so no chance of getting the damned thing working for another two weeks.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Got exactly the same problem on mine at the moment - very embarrassing when you only discover the fault when you are at the drive thru booth at the filling station and have to reverse out !!

No time to check anything other than fuses as I'm due offshore for three weeks - hopefully the weather will improve (i.e. temps rise above freezing) and we'll see whether the system resets itself as suggested.

Interestingly my wifes Roomster windows are still operating - strange or what ?

Solution was replacement of control unit. Skoda were great as they charged me just 10% of cost as goodwill gesture. Cant complain about that. If your windows still dont work I suggest a dealer visit.

best regards

Scottie

05 Fabia Vrs...my front electric windows also inoperative. Under Skoda 1yr Approved warranty. They carried out GFF (?) checked wires to motor,disconnect and reset motor. Working ok. Charged me £44. (when they phoned to say car ready I was quoted £600!! nearly fainted..but then she said oops wrong paperwork..relief!) Lasted one day and I'm trying to fix myself before having to go back.

I don't know if there is clue in the fact that they also won't operate using the key in the lock method...I've a strong suspicion this has been the case since I got the car as I didn't know about this until really RTFM! I did check out the alarm by opening the door the 'key' way and they didn't budge then. Incidently the alarm goes off instantly when opening the door...no 15sec delay. Any ideas much appreciated.

I have just sent away for The VCDS cable and downloaded the software...this from Vag-Diagnostics...so maybe someone knows a procedure using this to locate the problem?

cheers....Steve.

Oops! Sorry wrong room!

Edited by fitlike