GSM III+ BT Android Problem

@VRS DSG / @ jrw

thanks for the replies. At the moment the phone seems ok. I tried the connection again and I haven't yet been prompted for that password. Maybe the phone book download hasn't happened... I'll check that next, but at the moment the phone seems to connect fine, displays battery and signal strength fine, and answers calls fine. The sound quality is actually excellent!

For info I am told the default O2 SIM pincode is 0000 or 5555.

Puss

You are very welcome, keep us updated with how you get on. ;)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I didn't do anything special, I haven't been prompted for that passcode again, and I do seem to have all my contacts loaded from the phone book.

(that in itself is a feat... I have 4 separate Gmail/Google accounts on the phone and it sync'd from them all, so that's a real mess! But it worked.)

I haven't tried SMS yet, and probably never will to be honest... unless there is general interest for me to do so.

I drove back from Southampton this afternoon with no apparent problems with the connection, but when I went out earlier this evening for a short drive locally, it lost the connection about half a dozen times, but reconnected when asked to.

On a related matter. When I connect my Nokia, the MFD says "Premium [bT Logo]", but when the HTC Desire is connected its a [bT Logo] and an "icon" that looks a bit like the old scroll-wheel ipods.... any ideas? Does this represent an rSAP and an HFD connection? (Do I mean HFD?)

Puss

UPDATE: My brother (who knows about phones... used to work for Symbian... says the Wifi and BT often share the same antenna. It could be the wifi kicking in that is disconnecting the BT. This does make sense... On a motorway drive the phone is unlikely to find any hotspots to try and connect to, but on my local/in town drives there are hundreds of them! I'll try disabling the Wifi when I enable the BT next time I'm in the car and see what happens for a couple of days...

Puss

Edited by thepuss

On a related matter. When I connect my Nokia, the MFD says "Premium [bT Logo]", but when the HTC Desire is connected its a [bT Logo] and an "icon" that looks a bit like the old scroll-wheel ipods.... any ideas? Does this represent an rSAP and an HFD connection? (Do I mean HFD?)

Puss

UPDATE: My brother (who knows about phones... used to work for Symbian... says the Wifi and BT often share the same antenna. It could be the wifi kicking in that is disconnecting the BT. This does make sense... On a motorway drive the phone is unlikely to find any hotspots to try and connect to, but on my local/in town drives there are hundreds of them! I'll try disabling the Wifi when I enable the BT next time I'm in the car and see what happens for a couple of days...

Puss

If it says premium on the MFD it's rSAP, otherwise it's HFP (Hands Free Protocol)

I have read similar things regarding the BT/wifi aerials but I leave my WiFi on and it works. I spend a lot of time not on motorways. It will be interesting to hear how it goes.

You won't get any sms option with an HFP connection.

OK... its been 2 and a bit days, and my unrooted "HTC Desire" hasn't disconnected once to my knowledge.

This is since I turned off Wifi when turning on the BT as I get into the car.

I have the phone book and it seems to get updates, at least the display on the Columbus says "Phone Book Update" occasionally on connection...

I'm still wondering what the funny "scroll-wheel iPod" icon means... anyone know?

Puss

Am I being a bit of a prat here?

It suddenly occurred to me that it "looks" like an old scroll-wheel icon because it's meant to indicate some form of media player...

Perhaps it means I can play media on my phone, over BT, through the car's speakers...? Is that it?

I'm being dense I guess, because I'm not a great user of my smartphone (HTC Desire) for media listening/viewing.

I mainly listen to radio shows and audiobooks, and I've spent about a week formatting these for playing in the car now that it's easy for me to do so:

Unlike music tracks, audiobooks can be 6-10 hours long. I break them down into 5 minute "chapters" since it is far easier to skip around "tracks" that scan within a 6 hour long single track, I find. It makes it considerably easier to get back to where I was after playing some of the kids' stuff in the car.

The SDHC card (mine is 32Gb and full!) is a god send... although I suppose I could use the HDD... but the SD card seems so much more convenient... or am I missing something?

Puss

The Bluetooth menu on the maxidot refers to media player so that leads me to believe you can use your phone as a Bluetooth media player but I have never tried it.

Glad to hear your phone is behaving and not dropping the connection. :thumbup:

Just a quick update...

Its now a week since deciding to switch off Wifi when I switch on BT on my HTC Desire, I have had no problems whatsoever with disconnects.

Its working absolutely fine for my needs.

(I have also now got full postcodes thanks to a v7 map update, and "Destinations" added from SD card, using VWLabs, and with help from some Briskodians. Thanks Guys!)

Puss

Edited by thepuss