which car will I buy? Octavia Elegance/Ambiente, 2009/2011

Hi, I'm new to Skoda. I'm going to buy an Octavia 1.9tdi in the next month or so. I'm in Ireland. Can someone tell me how to identify the Elegance model from the Ambiente when I'm viewing them? I will be buying either a 2009 low-mileage Octavia that a local dealer has, or else I'll use the Gov scrappage + more cash to get a new 2011 model (it'd be a strain financially though). The local dealer says the Octavia he has for sale is an elegance, I'm thinking it might be an ambiente, how would I know?

On the internet I can get the spec differences for the current models, but I couldn't find the differences between the Elegance and the Ambiente for years gone by (2009.....2006) anywhere. The car he showed me had no parking sensors, no bluetooth. It had heated front windscreen and heated mirrors. I just don't know what to look out for to distinguish which model it is!

Any general advice would be really welcome, whichever I buy will have to do for a few years, in this recession! Is it worth paying the extra for the 2011 Octavia? I'm used to having comfort in my car, so would prefer to go for an elegance, but is there much difference from Ambiente to Elegance, 2009, 2010, 2011? Help!!!!!

Thanks.

Hi, I'm new to Skoda. I'm going to buy an Octavia 1.9tdi in the next month or so. I'm in Ireland. Can someone tell me how to identify the Elegance model from the Ambiente when I'm viewing them? I will be buying either a 2009 low-mileage Octavia that a local dealer has, or else I'll use the Gov scrappage + more cash to get a new 2011 model (it'd be a strain financially though). The local dealer says the Octavia he has for sale is an elegance, I'm thinking it might be an ambiente, how would I know?

On the internet I can get the spec differences for the current models, but I couldn't find the differences between the Elegance and the Ambiente for years gone by (2009.....2006) anywhere. The car he showed me had no parking sensors, no bluetooth. It had heated front windscreen and heated mirrors. I just don't know what to look out for to distinguish which model it is!

Any general advice would be really welcome, whichever I buy will have to do for a few years, in this recession! Is it worth paying the extra for the 2011 Octavia? I'm used to having comfort in my car, so would prefer to go for an elegance, but is there much difference from Ambiente to Elegance, 2009, 2010, 2011? Help!!!!!

Thanks.

Dealer can't sell with false description by law. :no:

Is the 09 a facelifted model or not? If not it should be quite a bit cheaper. I don't think you can get a 1.9 TDI in 2011 either? (The 2.0 will be cheaper to tax & VRT anyway I think, 'cos of CO2!) Or else it'll be the new 1.6 CR TDI.

Bear in mind our spec levels are quite different from UK too.

Parking sensors & bluetooth were always options in Ireland I think? Heated screen is optional too?

If it was me I'd be inclined to go for the 2011 with scrappage :thumbup:

Is the 2009 Elegance a FL or pre-FL?

Either way the Elegance should have alloys, small leather pack (wheel and gear shift), dual zone climate control (2 temp dials) and if it's a FL it will also have maxidot, bluetooth and rear parking sensors.

(I'm in Ireland driving a 2009 1.9 FL Elegance)

FLs are easiest to distinguish by their revised radiator grille shape - have a look at the current online brochure, pre-FL have a plainer grille.

Also on the FL the headlights swoop upwards on the outside (and have the name inscribed), on pre-FL they swoop down.

Edited by Lou_O

I don't think the OP was questioning the difference between pre-faclift and facelift.

To me it reads between a pre-facelift 'Ambiente' / facelift 'S' and the Elegance.

Again, the best way is to check for front fog lights. Neither the Ambiente or S have them, yet the Elegance does.

This applies to both pre and post FL.

A quick Google image search did reveal a few Irish registered Ambiente's with front fogs so as mentioned in a previous post your specifications may vary from those in the UK.

Octavia.jpg

These replies are really helpful - thanks so much. I've learned a lot since, online and in dealers - I didn't know the term 'face-lift' though, but I could see the difference, especially in the front lights and grill. I gather from the posts that the change took place during 2009, I had thought from looking at cars locally it was 2008 were pre fl and 2009 were fl, so thanks for setting me straight on that, it was definitely a pre fl I viewed. Yes, some Ambientes in Ireland seem to have the front fogs. What name is inscribed where? (I don't quite follow that). The 2010/2011 Elegance is very classy inside, well equipped and lovely wooden trim. Its very tempting!