Should i buy 1.9 OR 2.0l PD octavia

Hello chaps,

hope you all well and not havin too much problems with your skoda's at this time of the year?

Thinking to sell my old 2000 skoda octavia tdi for something newer, and really need your opinion!

Ive have had heard that PD engines have a FUNDAMENTAL issue with premature wear on camshafts, camshaft bearings and other components that are situated in cylinder head and that repairs can be very costy. Now what i really would like to know is, what is the actual diffrence between 1.9 and 2.0l TDI PD engines and which one is more reliable? Im not bothered about the engine power as such, just the reliability?

Thank you all

+1 on the 1.9

The 16 valve head on the 2.0 can be prone to cracking, specifically on the <2007 engines (revision A and B heads).

Injector wiring loom can also be a problem on the 2.0

I've had both engines (1.9 PD130 and 2.0 PD140) and the 1.9 was vastly more reliable.

Thanks for your opinion chaps, still looking around and trying to get best deal. In my personal opinion i would like to go for 1.9 tdi pd version as these engines have been longer on the market and AUDI is still producing certain models with same engine. The other thing ive heard is that 2.0 tdi pd engines do suffer from engine oil pump failures? is this true?

Regards

Thanks for your input MANNYO,

just found nice looking 2006 superb on autotrader 1.9 tdi pd 140 bhp, but seller said it requires new heater matrix! I have just posted new thred in superb forum field just to see how hard is to replace it and see if is worth buying it?

Regards

Thanks for your input MANNYO,

just found nice looking 2006 superb on autotrader 1.9 tdi pd 140 bhp, but seller said it requires new heater matrix! I have just posted new thred in superb forum field just to see how hard is to replace it and see if is worth buying it?

Regards

make sure its a 1.9 130bhp and not a 2.0tdi 140 bhp as the 2.0tdi on the superb suffers oil pump problems which does not affect the octavia cos the engine is mounted differently on the 2.0 tdi superb

that is intresting, so 2.0 140 pd engines that are fitted on transverse gearboxes suffer from oil pump failures?

Thanks for your input willydog, will bear this in mind

yes that is true as it affects 2.0tdi vw passats too, have a look at the superb forum section and read through all the oil pump issues with the 2.0tdi so best to avoid the 2.0tdi superb and go for the 1.9 instead

make sure its a 1.9 130bhp and not a 2.0tdi 140 bhp as the 2.0tdi on the superb suffers oil pump problems which does not affect the octavia cos the engine is mounted differently on the 2.0 tdi superb

+1 and also be aware of masive water ingress problems with the superb1 which if not caught in time will rot the main wirring loom on the passangers side due to the pollen filter housing seal failing. (big money for repairs). We see big milage octy 2.0 tdi (bkd engine code) with not many probs, they are a good powerfull engine with loads of torque. as with any engine you will always get a certain amount of problems its a chance you have to take unfortunately.