1.4 TSI Cold Starting Problem

Hi,

Having not missed a beat over the last 12 months, my Octy 1.4 TSI has suddenly developed an alarming reluctance to start from cold in the last couple of days. Have to turn the engine over for several seconds, then it fails to catch, and even if it does it sounds as if its on 2-3 cylinders and stalls if I don't rev it. Once it's finally cleared its throat it seems to be OK, apart from a stink of unburnt fuel, it runs fine after that, not even a hiccup, and hot starting is fine. Until the day before yesterday it had always fired up instantly, but now it's touch and go if it will start at all. Anybody heard of this? I had a search and couldnt find any mention of other owners having a problem. It's just about due its first service so hopefully can be easily fixed then (and presumably should be fixed under warranty anyway).

Thanks

Hi

Have tried to take on and longer run? Eg 20 miles. And when warm give it a goood tune up, 2ed to the red line. When safe to do etc

And then try putting in some 99/98 Ron petrol.

James

My 1.4 TSI has been fine in this cold weather at sub zero temperatures. What I do notice though is it takes forever to warm up (as indicated by the temperature guage) whereas my wife's Mini warms up almost as quickly as it does in milder weather. Could just be how the respective temp guages work, of course.

So, back to your original point and I would say definitely not normal to have cold start/running issues so recommend you visit your dealer for a diagnostic check.

• 2 years later...

Malcburt, my car has just developed exactly the same problem. A few days ago it started on 2-3 cylinders for a few seconds then cleared after giving it a little throttle. I thought it was probably just damp, and was going to spray some WD40 on the plug leads, but I couldn't find any! This morning it started immediately but again on 2-3 cylinders, sat there spluttering for a minute or so, with the orange engine warning light on, and wouldn't respond to the accelerator pedal at all, then stopped. Apparently there was black smoke from the exhaust and a smell of fuel. It then wouldn't start agin. Left it for 15 minutes and it did then start, misfiring, but responded to the accelerator then was OK. After a long day in a cold and wet station car park in again took a couple of goes to start and run properly.

Tomorrow I have a 6am start to drive from Oxford to Manchester, so I've left a heater on overnight in the garage hoping that will help.

I can't get to a dealer until Friday at the earliest, so I hope it behaves until then. I'll let you know what they find.

Very frustrating, left my car at the dealer for two nights, both mornings they said it started immediately with no problems. Nothing showing up on diagnostics so they can't trace a fault. It's been problematic for me the previous five days, both when in the garage overnight, and when I've come back to it from work in the station car park.

My car also has a DSG gearbox with the occasional judder in 2nd gear which I've seen other people write about, but they can't detcect that either.

My concern is that car runs out of warranty in two months, so if there are problems I want them fixed before then.

Edited by r6ymy

I know its not the same manufacturer, but we had a similar problem with our fiat 500. it wont start well with 98RON fuel. takes a few goes to start, and runs horribly. with 95RON in, its never had a problem since.

it may be as simple as that for you, or a fuel filter/filter sock is clogged. but with such low mileage, you wouldn't think so.