Autotech HPFP failure

I hate to say it given all the positive experiences in more recent days but my HPFP with Autotech internals has failed. I went to check the oil level today and the dipstick stank of petrol instead of oil. For those that understand the mechanics of the pump, failures are not just about the pump piston seizing or warping or the increased spring pressure stressing the cam lobe / cam follower but rather the dual-diameter design to the piston and the possibility that fuel may get behind the wider area of the piston, sit in the cavity of the narrower part of the piston and then forcing fuel against the stock seals of the HPFP on the return stroke. When the seals fail, fuel gets into the engine.

I was a little suspicious that something wasn't quite right and would give the oil a sniff from time to time but there was never any evidence of a problem. My previous remap did not request the full fuel rail pressure across the revs that the pump could produce. A more recent remap to compliment a turbo upgrade requested the full 130bar and I believe this was too much for those seals :'(

Just to be clear, this post is not intended to be any kind of APR vs. Autotech / KMD / etc rant. It is simply to point out that failures can still happen and to recommend the occasional sniff of your dipstick (ahem :giggle: )

Edited by muckipup

How many miles did you have on the pump?Was it the new V2,Ibelieve,revision?

Yes, it was a newer set of internals. However, due to my big journey to work, I have put about 20,000 miles on the Autotech internals. There is 56,000 miles on the car (and the fuel pump internal seals).

I agree, I may just be unlucky Micky....sniff your dipstick occasionally though :giggle::thumbup:

good little discussion on the MK5 forum about this for guys with the internals.

Same thread, but with different replies My link

Cheers Sy :thumbup: I didn't mean to be repetitive...just wanted to spread the 'sniff your dipstick' word as a friendly piece of advice :smirk:

The MkV forum, as usual, generates interesting discussion

I would buy a new pump from the dealers and replace with your existing Autotech internals. Be far cheaper than getting an APR pump.

With the greatest respect Harry, you are the only guy that I know who has taken your engine, modded it, K04'd it and ****-canned it in a heart-beat. Just joking mate .... :giggle: .....well, sort of...... :p

eek :( Bad news Dave.

I made a mental note to check my oil tomorrow as mine likes a drink, I'll give it a sniff at the same time.

It is probably nothing Tim. I did my own cam follower changes and did the autotech internals myself. Then ran bigg-ass rail pressures through the range. My oil dipsticks was absolutely honking of petrol; it was not a subtle thing!!! You'll know!