Change Cambelt or Not?

I,ve had my Octavia since new and have covered 41K miles and the car was 4 years old in November.Do i replace the cambelt now? as i,ve heard 4 years is time for change regardless of mileage.I want it done at my usual Skoda dealer as they have looked after the car since new and are brilliant.

Well done MEADENS of Sway.I have been quoted £530 all in including water pump.I know its a steep price but want it done there.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

I'm getting my timing belt done on Tuesday as the car is 4 years old it has only done 30,000 miles though. It's costing me £455 inc vat for the timing belt , water pump and stretch bolts. That is from my local dealer and the car is a petrol vrs

I recently had the cambelt and pump replaced at a fixed price of £399. I spoke to White Rose VW in Petersfield as they are participating in the Vw fixed price servicing scheme (see their website) and the cambelt plus water pump is £399. I got an email confirmation from them that they could do the job on my petrol vrs at the same price. I then showed this email to my chosen dealer (Winchester Skoda) and they were happy the match having originally quoted £520+ The moral of the story.....you don't ask, you don't get!

Had the cambelt, water pump and alternator belt replaced at West End Skoda, Broxburn, Midlothian.

They were brilliant, and for a whole lot less money - £325.

Even offered me the loan of a courtesy car.

What more are they doing for you to justify that steep cost ?

Edited by Monkeyboyo

Pricing is dealer dependant, since they are all franchises they all have their own labour rates and can also charge what they like for parts, as they are not tied to selling them at skoda prices.

The cambelt should be changed, its not just mileage that affects the belt, the engine bay environment is very harsh and the belt ages at the same rate regardless of use.