Columbus V7 Maps - Full Post Code Entry

Having ready various topics on here regarding the new v7 maps available for the Columbus and thus allowing full post code entry. I wanted to know is full post code entry simply down to the map upgraded or do I need to upgrade to latest firmware. I have 57 plate Octavia and if its a combination of the 2 then I presume I may need the Canbus update else suffer battery drain. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

If you read through the thread on the v7 maps you'll find that it states that the firmware must be 2660 or higher to use the V7 Maps

Thanks for your response must of missed that. I have a couple more questions.

Is it wasy to work out what version of firmware my unit is running then ? IGNORE this question found out how to do this on software version 1004

If its below 2660 where would I get this version and would this cause the battery drain issues so needing the Canbus upgrade ?

Edited by JCB360

Download the firmware from this link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JG148IV6

That is 276X firmware which is the latest one you can run reliably.

You will not need to upgrade your canbus. I have a 07 plate vRS which has a K revision gateway and that is fine. Yours being a 57 will have at least an L revison so it will be fine.

When you update the firmware DO NOT put the keys in the ignition. Just turn the MFD3 on, put the disc in and follow the prompts on the screen. It takes a couple of minutes to get going and once it starts it takes about 50mins or so to update.

The only time you will have a problem is if your unit has been opened up and the eeprom soldered to reset the code. easy ways to tell is the security seal on the unit will be broken. Or you will have a security code of 1234,0000 or similar

Download the firmware from this link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JG148IV6

That is 276X firmware which is the latest one you can run reliably.

You will not need to upgrade your canbus. I have a 07 plate vRS which has a K revision gateway and that is fine. Yours being a 57 will have at least an L revison so it will be fine.

When you update the firmware DO NOT put the keys in the ignition. Just turn the MFD3 on, put the disc in and follow the prompts on the screen. It takes a couple of minutes to get going and once it starts it takes about 50mins or so to update.

The only time you will have a problem is if your unit has been opened up and the eeprom soldered to reset the code. easy ways to tell is the security seal on the unit will be broken. Or you will have a security code of 1234,0000 or similar

Cheers for the quick response, much appreciated.

I have downloaded the file and uncompressed so now have a file 2760_all.nrg, presume just brun onto dvd/cd and then follow your instructions as above.

Will this update delete everything on the hdd or will it all remain intact ?

I wonder if somebody can help me with an issue I have with my factory fit Columbus unit? Upgraded to 2764 firmware yesterday courtesy of link from Carl and all went well. :thumbup:

Tried to use Navigation and it asked for the navi disc. I inserted the original V3 disc the car came with and it just runs from the disc.

It never fully installs to the hdd. I left the car Columbus on, ignition off, disc in, on mute and the disc was spinning away and I presumed it was installing.

Came back couple of hours later, no joy. Tried again later on, same issue, runs from disc very slowly and if you eject disc it promptly asks for it back,

I then tried a V7 disc (7333) and that too just runs from the disc and doesn’t seem to install (shows speed warning on screen, I have 7 fig postcode entry).

To add, before running firmware upgrade I tried the v7 disc in the temp mode, ie running from the disc and not installing to HDD and the maps worked (obviously no speed warnings or 7 fig postcode due to old firmware limitation).

Something else I have noticed is that the phone option has now disappeared from maxidot and the phone button on the steering wheel does nothing. All other MFSW buttons work.

My google-fu must be weak as the only suggestion of any resolution was on vwnavi that suggested clearing errors from the setup menu to poss force disc to hdd install, but that didn’t work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am now getting ear ache from the wife as she relies on the satnav as her internal navigation unit never functioned from birth. :p

Delivery part number 3T0035670A

HW-Version - H03

SW-Version - 2764

SV SW-Version - C_EU_9.242_t520

HW Vehicle - 0xC201

Active map ceverage - West Europe

Active map supplied - Navteq

Map version DVD - 7333 (running from disc 'slowly')

Edited by beaker656

Also everything on the HDD will remain intact :thumbup:

Running the install disk but crashes at 14% on APPL update, says cann't write file ? Any ideas/guidance would be helpful.

The overall progress is 30% , I have tried with firmware 1300 and 2720 with the same result, but on the last one (2720) it did say error 239 in bracketts.

Should I try different media or is my unit knackered.

When i turn on it wants the software update disk.

Edited by JCB360

I then tried a V7 disc (7333) and that too just runs from the disc and doesn’t seem to install (shows speed warning on screen, I have 7 fig postcode entry).

It seems the you must erase old map from HDD with this tool - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6FSW1JEV

if RNS-510 complains about downgrade error, insert media and reboot unit by pressing Setup + Eject + Info/Mic/whatever top right button.

Regarding the missing phone option - if you have a VCDS, run a full scan for errors and post here.

Edited by josi

It seems the you must erase old map from HDD with this tool - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6FSW1JEV

if RNS-510 complains about downgrade error, insert media and reboot unit by pressing Setup + Eject + Info/Mic/whatever top right button.

Regarding the missing phone option - if you have a VCDS, run a full scan for errors and post here.

Josi - thanks for your help. :clap:

All sorted and like clockwork. I did try looking for something like this but found no mention of anything similar anywhere.

I've no VCDS, but for now that's something I can live with. Now the nagging will stop.

Cheers, just downloading Nero 10 lite (which is free) , to make CD.

Running the firmware install disk but crashes at 14% on APPL update, says cann't write file ? Any ideas/guidance would be helpful.

The overall progress is 30% , I have tried with firmware 1300 and 2720 with the same result, but on the last one (2720) it did say error 239 in bracketts.

Should I try different media or is my unit knackered, new motherboard required ?

When i turn on it wants the software update disk.

RNS-510 write a lot of files on HDD during the APPL stage, so maybe the HDD is failing?

Did you use CD or DVD media? RNS-510 handles DVD much better than CD.

Using CD media

Tryind DVD as i type this and has gone past 30%, will up date with result

Edited by JCB360

Well it must have been the media as the installation has finished 100%.

The unit now boots and appears all functions are OK, it asks for the Nav CD now when I select NAV or MAP any ideas on this ?

Version Info now shows

HW-Version 3T0035680A

SW Version 2764