Upgrade '03 Octavia to '08 Fabia?

unkel

Hi all

My OAP mother-in-law bought a new Octavia 1.4 petrol on my advice back in '03. The car served her well apart from a few misfire (coil pack) issues. In fact when the car was in the main dealers for another coil pack this week, the dealer offered her an '08 Fabia for €4,500 plus her Octavia. She doesn't know any details but I suspect it is the 3-pot base model 1.2 petrol. Her Octavia is in good nick with very low miles (less than 40k iirc in 8 years)

What are your thoughts on this deal? I presume the Fabia would come with a bit of warranty (still manufacturers warranty or what would be the standard Skoda dealer warranty on a newish second hand car?). What are your thoughts on the 3-pot engine? She would do mainly Dublin area driving and the car does not need to be nippy at all. She would never overtake a car on a main national road :) I know the 3-pot is chain driven, which is a big benefit in my view. She's likely to keep the car for 5+ years, maybe even much longer

Its worth checking with dealers from outside Dublin, as I know when changing my last car there was a 3000 euro diference between some of the city based dealers and those outside the capital. Its also worth considering selling the Octy privately as you will get a better deal privately. You'll pick up a 2nd hand petrol car fairly reasonably in the sticks as the dealers have trouble shifting them compared to diesels.

Its also worth looking at something like a Kia Cee'd as a 08 model of this would still have a substantial chunk of warrenty left.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Fabia/SPORT-1./201101200773362/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Fabia/AMBIENTE/201014197559237/advert?channel=CARS

Edited by Photoemt

I would think that the 1.2 would be fine for her it will feel at least as quick as the Octavia if not quicker as it will probably be the 70bhp version which is better than the 6v 60 bhp one. I assume the 1.4 octavia is 80 bhp. It should also be easier to drive and more economical used to manage about 45- 50 mpg out of the 1.2 engine. Can she get a test drive and see what she thinks?